1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ClarianLabs: Rethinking The Battery As A Tiny Engine

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cyclopathic, Jun 14, 2011.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

Horrible article; innovation is basically combining Wankel with electric motor is one package.

Granted there are Wankel Atkinson cycle geometries, but kinda doubtful given the thermal losses, efficiency and environmental issues. Maybe Mazda would build one

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mazda has clearly demonstrated over years and years now that rotary engines suck (guzzle oil, terrible fuel economy, terrible longevity). Perhaps in this application they wouldn't, but it would be a first.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Lets break down by function the main reasons why HSD improves fuel economy:

* Coasting with ICE off
    * ICE downsized by having alternative extra power source
    * Markedly decreased low power pumping losses

This invention can substitute for the last two I think, and maybe the first also. Since it appears to be quite small, perhaps super dooper composites, carbon or ceramics may be employed to solve the friction problems of past rotaries.

I am not a scientist or an engineer, so take my post with a grain of salt. I do.

4. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is basically how a motorcycle engine provides an alternator. The crankshaft is the rotor, and the stator is mounted on the crankcase. How is this any different? Except it is a less efficient engine?

Why not just turn an old turbo into an alternator? Just put it downstream near the tailpipe. Still, there is back pressure, but your fuel is already burnt instead of providing new fuel. Just a thought.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Admittedly I'm treading in unfamiliar waters for myself, and probably out of my depth. So I'll ask anyone and everyone...

If I'm reading this correctly? Why is it compared to...or called a "battery" at all? It's a "Rotary Piston Generator" by the manufacturers own definition. Then they "say" it's energy "capacity" is 10 times greater than a battery? But what do they mean...immediate output capacity, when fueled and in use? Or energy "storage" capacity...

Because admittedly I'm ignorant here...but how does this device "store" energy? They simultaneously call it portable energy storage...I'm not seeing the "storage" part? They seem to be using two terms...generator...one thing....and battery..another...

Enlighten me. Which is it?

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ As I posted above, I think the idea is to replace the battery in a hybrid vehicle application with this device. I don't know if it can also act as a flywheel, but maybe that is the capacity talked about ?

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Actually, you still need a battery (or UltraCap) for efficiency. This is an approach to doing a serial hybrid

JeffD

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The battery comparison is because the device can be made very small, which would allow it to power some of the same devices traditionally powered by batteries.

A better title for the article would have been: "Tiny internal combustion engine targets traditional battery applications."

It isn't a battery. It doesn't have anything to do with batteries. It *is* small, and it generates electricity. That is the end of the similarities.

This device would be entirely unsuitable for hybrid vehicles. In fact, rather than use this, one can use the engine already installed under the hood. Batteries are used in hybrid vehicles because they can store energy. This tiny motor can't do that.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    same more info:
    Clarian trumps Bill Gates with rotary-piston hybrid battery - GeekWire
    [​IMG]

reading all this and still confused.

I could see this replacing battery if you use rotary as hydraulic pump and package it with hydraulic high/low pressure tanks

1 person likes this.
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oh ... ok.

Perhaps people willing to make hydrogen at home and refill their own cartridges will be interested in the device as a way to store energy. As for car application the extra power supply might allow ICE downsizing, ICE off coasting, and solve low power inefficiencies. Seems like regen is lost.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This device *is* an ICE. Therefor it won't help for ICE downsizing, ICE off coasting, or anything else ICE. It's just another motor-generator, albeit a very small one. It won't be small if you scale it up to the size needed for a car. Then it will be essentially a Mazda powered Prius.

Tom

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ I was thinking of it as the battery replacement in a hybrid drivetrain. A bigger_ICE/little_ICE hybrid, if you will.

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I understood your thinking, which is why I replied like I did. If you replace the hybrid battery with another ICE, you end up with a two-engined car, not a hybrid. Adding a large version of this device to a car is just adding a second engine. In no way can it serve the same function as the hybrid battery. At best, it could work like a trolling motor on a fishing boat.

Tom

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Tom,

Ignorance is bliss -- I have not given up on the idea yet ;)
    How about this: HSD, little_ICE, big_ICE, and ultra-cap. The ultra-cap is needed for regen and eCVT duties.

I call it a hybrid because the two ICEs can work alone or in concert.

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That would work. Even with just the ultra-cap and ICE it would be a hybrid.

Tom

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks...it was early in the morning and I was just misreading/misunderstanding the title. I kept thinking...why are they calling it a battery? But now it makes sense..they are saying...You could use this tiny "engine" to generate electricity, then use it in applications commonly used for batteries...Yeah, it's a misleading title...

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    you gotta love the new anti-leaf comercial showing how you can run everything on propane and not plug it in:confused:

Well there is one good use for it. It looks like you could add this to a ev to convert it to a serial phev. This is the approach audi is using on one of their prototypes, a small wankel generator to range extend.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, this would be like the leaf commercial asking " what if everything was powered by gasoline?" instead of having a battery, my laptop would have a butane tank and enough of these generators for power. would i have to duct the exhaust outside?

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I"m thinking "what if you were wireless". So you can walk into you office in the woods, and just turn on the quiet generator and power and internet without wire. . etc. I know I really like having a gas chainsaw to clear land without cords. I also like having a camping blender that runs on gas. My camping stove runs on propane. It would be awful to carry around heavy batteries, or be unable to get out in nature.

20. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, the exhaust would go into your lap, enhancing the already hot cooling air venting from the computer.

Tom