1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clarification Regarding Seat Covers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mystery Squid, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I'm a bit confused. Is there an OEM seat cover I can buy whereas I remove the stock seat covers, presumably leaving only the "spongy" material exposed, and replace them, OR are seat covers simply meant to be placed OVER the existing seat/seat cover?

I bought my Pri used with 12 miles on the clock, and I really would like to replace the fabric on the driver's seat, instead of replacing the whole seat, and I don't want to simply place a cover on top of it.

Ideas, thoughts, comments, opinions?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I heard about someone who did upholstery for a living was planning to do that. The problem was that it would only work for the non-airbag seats. Any seat covers I've come across go over the existing seat.

3. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Seat covers do indeed go over the existing seat. You can add and remove them with no damage to the existing seats. Every seat cover includes cushioning foam that's usually around a half inch thick or slightly less.

As far as side airbags do, custom-fit seat covers are modified to support them or anything else unusual about the seat, because they're custom-made to exactly fit the seat of the car you're using... but so-called "universal fit" seat covers won't support side-airbags and they won't fit well either.

I myself have already ordered custom-fit seat covers from seatcovers.net and hopefully they'll turn out well when they arrive in a couple of weeks.

4. ljoye

ljoye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We are :) with our custom purple hawaiian covers from www.seatcovers.net. They've already been washed twice: spilled coffee incident, and to prevent a transfer of dreaded lice-UGH

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most seat covers are installed over the original upholstry. There is a set of leather on eBay now that replace original covers. Kinda pricey at $550!