1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clarion and Pioneer iPod interfaces

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by LazyBear, Dec 6, 2004.

1. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    http://www.macnn.com/news/27129

I'd love to see Clarion DRZ9255 with iPod interface. DRZ9255 is my favorite head unit: simple yet precise rotary volume contol, no stupid flashy screens and no sliding face panel: just a good old CD slot.

As for Pioneer, there is no direct information, but there are couple of bits of information. First, this site

http://www.digitalpoint.com/~shawn/2004/09...od-adapter.html

Second, I wanted to look at some pioneer head unit manuals and in order to get access to manuals I had to register on the Pioneer Web site. During the registration I was offered to subscribe to updates and one of the topics of interes was 'iPod interface'. Made me thinking... :wink:

2. pshady

pshady New Member

Pioneer will be announcing the iPod adaptor at CES (Jan 05). Will be on the shelves in March.

Unlike the Alpine adaptor, this will be backward compatible with all Pioneer headunits. I can't say much more, but it's also has better functionality.

3. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's really cool. I have been considering Pioneer DEX-P9 and Clarion DRZ9255. I don't mind switching stock unit off (I have no Nav), I had it done with Alpine for a week and didn't feel unfomroftable. I just didn't like Alpine iPod interface as well as Alpine tiny buttons, complex user interface and its bright sound.

I have been leaning towards Clarion though since it has simple controls and non-sliding face. I hope Clarion will be backwards compatible as well. Clarion will be announcing iPod interface as CES 2005 in January as well. They say thay DVD player will be available in February and CE.NET adapter in summer.

4. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Important questions though:

1. Will their adapter disable iPod controls?
    2. Will scrolling through titles be as fast as on iPod or as slow as Alpine?

Hope you can answer :)

5. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  6. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Now that it's past March and the Pioneer unit is available, has anyone tried it? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/prem...2089315,00.html

I've read reviews that both highly praise and highly deprecate this device. I suspect that those who highly praise it are those using it with Pioneer iPod adapter ready units, while those who deprecate it are using Pioneer head units with this iPod adapter in "External Unit" mode.

Anyone know what the model of head unit in the Prius is? A review by a Prius owner would be great. If no one has tried it and if the Prius has one of the iPod adapter ready head units, maybe I'll take the plunge and try it out.

7. skew

skew Junior Member

I installed a Kenwood ipod controler the other day. It worked but the ipod was painfully slow compaired to the music keg. I havent got a chance to play with the pioneer controler but my guess it will be slow to because the ipod was the hold up not the radio.