1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Classic Silver or Seaside Pearl, Aug 4, Madison, WI

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by Fatfenders, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

Date Ordered: August 4, 2006
    Dealer Ordered From (Incl. City/State): Jon Lancaster Toyota, Madison, WI
    Timeframe given for delivery: October 15, 2006
    Color: Classic Silver or Seaside Pearl
    Option Package: #4
    Your # on Dealer's Waiting List: No number given

Want the #4 but gave dealer two options for color to improve chances of getting one sooner. Decided on the dark grey interior regardless of body color as I think the light colored interior will show dirt sooner. Well, I have at least 2 months to pick out accessories and glean information from this forum. Hope to be saving lots of fuel real soon! :D

The big question is, will this be 2006 or 2007 model??? If it will be a 2007 model, do I need to make sure the dealer is looking for a 2007 pkg 2 and/or 2006 pkg 4? I sure the heck don't need a 2007 pkg 4!

Mike

2. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

Got a call today from the dealer. They have a #7 coming and they were wondering if we wwere interested. Hmmm...approx $3900 more than the #4. BUT, there's the extra tax credit for delivery before 9/30. Decisions, decisions. :blink:

3. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi :) Welcome to prius chat.I know how u feel about the desision making.I was going for a 2006 package 3 and ended up with a 7 :lol: .The extra bells and whisles like the nav and bluetooth ive learned to love.I dont get lost anymore :p ! The choice is yours!if you can afford the #7,id say go for it.IF long waits are common in your area,you may risk not getting the full tax credit!i think it drops in half after sept.Which ever choice you make,its a no loser with the prius.
    PS! there really isnt much difference in the 2006 vs 2007! maybe 2008 will be the prius next gen.!i dont think its worth losing the tax credit for.

4. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Given that Jon Lancaster is the only dealer I know of with non-refundable deposits within 200 miles of Madison, you're pretty much stuck with them after what I assume was your $500 deposit and your signature on the sales contract stating that you owe 5% of the MSRP as a penalty should you cancel. Otherwise you could almost certainly get one faster in Northern Illinois (like me), or save hundreds of dollars with a one-way flight to the DC area given their apparent current surplus out there.

With that gripe aside, congratulations from a fellow Madisonian on your impending purchase. Please keep in mind that after September 30, the tax credit is cut in half (it does not go away), so it's $3900 - $3150 to get the #7 now, or $0 - $1575 to get the #4 in October. I must say that I have been pleased with the navigation system, love the bluetooth, and appreciate the HID headlights, so if that's still in your price range, I think you'll find it to be worthwhile.

5. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Aug 14 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]303371[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the feedback Mel. Unfortunately, I read your post re: Jon Lancaster's sales practice AFTER I had already put my "deposit" down. :angry:

I think it's just a little underhanded that they refuse to refund a "deposit" on a vehicle that #1 - they don't have and have no idea when they might, and #2 - they could EASILY sell to someone else should I not want it. Since they're pulling from a regional allotment, I don't believe they are actually being forced to take a vehicle.

Oh well, my problem is I'm dealing with a possible trade-in, which puts me in a worse position. Their valuation of the trade-in, while slightly better than other dealer's value, was still about $1000 less than it should have been, based on my research - so we walked away from the #7, that is unless of course, they have a change of heart and call us back today. :rolleyes:

The #7 was about $3900 more than the #4 we wanted and has more stuff than we'll really need and some we'd never use. Subtract the $3150 tax credit and the end result is we really didn't come out as well as we wanted to since we want to add the clear paint protector and possibly a set of Blizzaks on steel wheels.

Since we still have a car, there's no hurry. We'll try to sell our '03 Grand Marquis outright. Know anyone that wants a full sized car??? ;)

6. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey! I am picking up my #8 tomorrow at smart motors.

Anybody wants an 03 GLX 4motion Passat? :)

Cheers!

7. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Hey fatfenders - I had a few Jon Lancaster threads going on here when I was dealing with them, and it may be encouraging to know that I did ultimately get my deposit refunded in full. I posted that in one but possibly not the others. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that if you're serious about considering another dealership for whatever reason, I suppose you could always ask nicely about a deposit refund. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to get an idea about availability in the general area first - give Curt Hermann at Fox Lake Toyota a call and ask what he's got coming in - he was a straight shooter with me.

With the trade-in, you don't have to give them the car. They wouldn't give you a price up-front, right?, so the trade isn't written in the contract. Keep in mind that if you sell it to anyone other than the dealer where you are buying the new car, you will pay more sales tax on your new car because you don't get to subtract the trade. So effectively you've got to divide the private sale price by 1.055 to figure the equivalent.

With that said you might try taking it to a place like Schoepp Motors and see what they'd pay for it. Also try a local dealer for that type of car (Mercury, right?) especially if it's low mileage or in good condition that they might be able to offer it as certified pre-owned. Here's a tip about selling it yourself - I found when we listed our CR-V on carsoup.com that the ONLY one EVER to look at the page was me! I figured it would be a good place to list it because it's advertised so heavily in this area. Talk about $40 down the drain. YMMV.

I hope this all works out for you in one way or another. Please keep us updated.

Alric - congratulations, another Madisonian. I'm considering Smart for service on our Prii and would be interested in any impressions you might get from dealing with them.

(Just re-read Fatfenders post so this followup will probably show as an edit)

So, you have to decide on the #7 today? This might be an excellent time to ask about getting your deposit back, if you're serious about going down that route.

8. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Aug 15 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]303608[/snapback]</div>

9. tacomel

tacomel New Member

There's not much to tell about how I got the Jon Lancaster deposit back. I called on a Wednesday to cancel my order, got a disappointed and muttering response from my salesman that Jon Lancaster considers contracts to be binding, and that he would refer it to a sales manager for further action. Wednesday through Thursday I went back and forth here on Priuschat with various folks encouraging me to fight (onerpm in particular was helpful). On Friday I called and left a voice mail for the sales manager asking for a call to discuss the refund of the deposit. Later that day the salesman called me back and asked if I wanted them to tear up the check or return it to me. I checked my bank, noticed that the check was already cashed, and called the salesman back as a courtesy so he wouldn't look too hard for the check. I received the refund in the mail less than a week later. As to why there was a sudden change of heart, I surmised that the fact that the Priuschat thread in question was the #1 Google hit under the sponsored ads for Jon Lancaster, perhaps that was motivation. Or maybe there was a genuine change of heart. I'm just not sure, and haven't bothered them anymore.

In the present, here are some things I would recommend that you do.

1. Call some other dealers. Inquire as to availability or waiting time. If there's nothing out there, then it doesn't pay to start fighting with the current dealer. As noted, I worked with Curt Hermann at Fox Lake and also recommend Rob Smithburg at Elmhurst (a bit longer of a drive from here). You could also check out TJ at Grossinger, since he's a Priuschat sponsor, although I have no personal experience with him. Anyway, summarize this step as "do some work to see where you stand."

2. If you decide that you are interested in pursuing other options, then you can go about contacting Jon Lancaster and asking for the refund. I don't know if it's best here to say you're "seeing other people," or if the value of the trade they promised isn't sufficient for you to continue buying a Prius, or whatever. I personally think that honesty is best because then you never have to keep track of what you said earlier. If you opt to do this and think there may be a problem, you could always check with the bank to see if they cashed your deposit check yet, and put a stop payment on it if they didn't. This was one suggestion that someone here had for me in my experience -- kind of a "duh why didn't I think of that" -- but realize that doing this without them agreeing to refund the deposit is like firing the first shot in a war.

I'm happy to get in touch with you if you want, but there really isn't much more I can add other than what I've written here. Still, I recognize that hearing moral support over the phone is better than reading it off a chat board, so if you want, PM me your number and I can tell you about our buying experience if that'll help.

Edit about trade-in values: for the CR-V in great condition, we got KBB "good" plus $500. For a 2002 Civic that was a little beat-up cosmetically we got KBB "good" which was a little bit of a stretch. I wouldn't expect any dealer to go much above KBB, which seems always to be lower than NADA or edmunds. Although, this is about the only negotiable part of your sale.

10. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

Thanks for all your help Taco Mel. That name have anything to do with Taco Bell?

Since my last posting...I received a reply from Jon Lancaster and they indicated in writing, that I could get the deposit back if I'd like to. I'll try the dealers you went through in IL and see what happens. Smart had about a dozen listed as recently as about a week ago. These were listed as "In stock" (per their website), but that list has dwindled to a Black #6 and Lt Blue #7. If the #6 wasn't black, we might go for it... <_<

I'll post any updates as they happen.

11. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Aug 16 2006, 07:50 PM) [snapback]304398[/snapback]</div>
    Good experience with Grossinger.

Think you can get more with a private sale of your present car, by far, no matter who the dealer. (Check KBB).

Good luck in whatever path you may travel.

For sure, you'll get better milage on that path in a Prius. :)

12. tacomel

tacomel New Member

I'm glad to hear that you now have an opportunity to look around. If JL can get your car in faster, more power to you (and them). But if you can get one more quickly somewhere else, or get another dealer to work harder, you should be able to. Competition. :D

If nothing else, approaching JL about a potential refund of the deposit should convince them that there are other suitors looking for your business. Maybe they'll look just a little harder, or give you a little more for that trade, now that they know they are not your one and only potential source for the car.

Just punch a Chicago zip code (60606) into the dealer locator on toyota.com and you'll get everything in northern Illinois. Note that they sort by distance so you'll get them almost in opposite order of how far from Madison they are, but it will list all of them. Ditto for a Milwaukee zip code catching that entire metro area. The links to dealer websites on toyota.com were only about 50% accurate but Google quickly found the correct website given the dealer's name or telephone number. I found the online "in stock" list to be of varying value depending on the dealership. Many "in stock" Prii are already pre-sold. One of the Prii I bought was listed, and one was not.

If you put in the legwork of a little searching and a few hours of calling around, you should get a very good idea of where you stand, and you will likely find something. Good luck!

(Taco is my son's nickname, and Mel rhymes with Bell. :D)

13. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

I received a call yesterday from our sales woman at Jon Lancaster. They have received information on their upcoming allotment. All 2006 models are in and sold. The next ones coming are 2007 models and our name is on the first Silver #2 w/dk grey interior that arrives. Our second choice is the Silver Pine Mica. Whichever comes first, we're taking it... Wait time unknown at this time. Maybe a month??? It's starting to feel like Christmas :D

14. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

Got a call from our friendly sales person. Our 2007 Prius should be here before the end of the month.. :D

15. Fatfenders

Fatfenders New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fatfenders @ Oct 13 2006, 11:44 PM) [snapback]332628[/snapback]</div>
    It's here! We pick it up on Monday. As far as I know, it's a 2007, Silver #2. :D :D