1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Classic Start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bckeller, Oct 16, 2004.

1. bckeller

bckeller New Member

Hi gang,
    I have a 2002 Prius and I noticed an unusual occurance from time to time. When starting the car, the center PRNDB doesn't light up, and the car won't go into READY mode. So then I turn the key back and remove it, and do it again, and all is ok.

If I just turn the key back, it will not 'clear' the error, but if I remove the key, it does. The display sort of comes on, almost ghosts on, but then goes off just as fast.

It's not all the time, maybe a few times a month. Has anyone else had a similiar issue? Is it dirty contacts or something? I am approaching my 52,500 mile service marker in a few weeks. I was hoping to have a theory to share with my Prius tech when it goes in.

TIA
    BC

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Well I've never had it on my 2k3 classic and never had it on the wife's 2k1. It could be a few different things. Park switch, or the ignion switch, most likely the latter. It's possibe a shot of contact cleaner might just cure the problem but hard to say. A scan of the OBD11 port might show a code on it.