1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clazzio seat covers, added lumbar support!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Sphyrna, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just installed the front seats from a set of Clazzio seat covers. I purchased a 'bath pillow' from bed bath and beyond that fit nicely between the bolsters of the seat and provides much-needed lumbar support for folks who don't have it. The seat covers fit right over the cushion and keep it in place really well. The cushion has a non-slip backing which also helps. See photo. The cushion was only $9.99.

The Clazzios were easy (at least the fronts) to put on, I'll do the rears this weekend. A little illustration on how to properly buckle the web belts that hold the seatbottom in place would have been welcome. Definitely practice buckling it before putting it on the car! Following the instructions the install was easy and fit was excellent, especially considering these are covers and not upholstery. The kit includes the center console arm rest and the two rear side pieces of the back seats that are plastic, like where the vent is for the battery. The vent is uncovered of course. Front seatbacks have the pockets in the rear just like the originals. Included was also a plastic but good quality installation tool, kind of like a butter knife, to help with the trim.

Caveats: the documentation says the stitching is tested and proven to rip upon air-bag deployment, but does not guarantee the air bag will actually deploy properly. This is a concern, and if you feel it's too iffy, I'd suggest not ordering these covers. Also the skirts toward the center console don't really attach to anything (neither do the factory originals) and that kinda seems loose. Other than that, I'd say these look great and are very comfortable.

EDIT: Added picture of package for pillow. Measurements are listed.

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great find! How does it attach to the back of the seat? How does it feel (can you feel this one cushion - or does it blend in nicely).

Wonderful idea (have my Katzkins coming in a day)...

3. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Katzkin leather upholstery is truly superior, I had a set for mazda miata and it was truly transformational to the car. I did the install myself that time but did not want to go through that again, especially with air bags, so I opted for the clazzio covers. It feels comfortable, no sharp edges or weird looking bumps. And it feels smooth the whole way down the seatback.

The added cushion makes a big difference. I tried it for a few days (before teh seat covers) with the cushion and then without and really noticed that it was a lot better with the cushion. It doesn't have a way to attach it, but the backing is non-slip rubber and the seat cover keeps it in place. So far it doesn't move around or get bunched up but it's only been one day since the seat covers. I'll keep you posted.

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can you kindly post a few words on your install (keep it PG-13) - I've seen it's not easy - any tidbits you have to share will be helpful to all (and really more selfishly me - as I'm doing it soon) - please don't skimp - I'm guessing it's similar... I don't even own hog-clips yet!

5. tlthompson

tlthompson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where did you find your Clazzios, and if I may be so rude, what's the ballpark price?

6. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great installation, and fantastic idea for the lumbar support! Genius!

7. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought them off ebay from another priuschatter. You can get them direct fro 450+ shipping.

8. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you mean the seat covers, the install is a breeze.

If you mean reupholstering the seats, it takes a few hours and lots of patience to work out wrinkles, etc. I did it on an old miata and it didn't have airbags in the seats. So that may add a whole 'nother complication. But even so, YOU HAVE TO COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLE THE SEATS. Not for the faint of heart, and it helps if it's not your only car!

9. alexmac56

alexmac56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Great idea..
    I installed last year and for the price very happy with the look. I installed myself and for $300 at the time, saved over $900 if i went for the katskins. I just may have to take mine off and add your suggestion. The install takes about 6hours but i think its worth it..

Thanks

10. hschen

hschen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your info. Is yours leather seat cover or fabric? $450 inlcudes front seats and rear bench, or front seats only?
    I am looking at GT Covers ($299 for either fronts or rear) but haven't decided yet.

11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Katzkins aren't all that bad - they're $688 for the leather - that's front, back, door panels, center... Of course you have to install them - which is not an easy thing (or you pay more)... LEATHER CAR SEATS

12. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Clazzio includes every seating surface and the center console pad cover. They say 'leather' but I'm not sure if only the outside parts are vinyl or the whole thing is vinyl. I know it's definitely not 100% leather. Still, looks good, feels good and protects the light grey cloth seats.

13. hschen

hschen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seating surface should be real leather and the rest are vinyl. Leather shall have that unique leathger smell.

14. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yeah it smells like leather, but the documentation states the vinyl also smells pretty strong. I haven't noticed it being overpowering or anything, but I still don't feel 100% sure that there is leather in there, since most smells can be synthesized. I'll have to look at their website and see what they claim.

Actually, I just looked and they claim it's perforated genuine leather. The packaging does not claim it's leather, just "Leather Type." Also, they claim the covers are sourced from Japan, but the box clearly says "Made in China." FWIW, I really don't mean to slam the seat covers, I'm happy with them and I think I'll get plenty of life out of them. Worth it in my opinion.

15. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wondering if you could really tell the differnce between the leather and vinyl /synthtic leather?

16. hschen

hschen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, absolutely you can. Real leather shall have that unique smell that synthetic never has.

17. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How do you like the lumbar support so far? I will head down to BB&B tomorrow to get a couple of those pads.

18. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went to BB and couldn't find the pad. Am kinda glad since I now like the stock support (Katzkins).

19. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can really tell the difference, but I drive 3+ hours a day. Look at the first post for a pic of the packaging if you're interested.

20. longhaul

longhaul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sphyrna: How hard was it to install the rear seat cover? Thanks Longhaul