1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clean Air Vehicle Stickers PICTURE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by davedog, Aug 12, 2005.

1. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Now, I'm a little worried.

There have been cases of people peeling the registration stickers off of licenseplates to avoid paying fees, etc.

I can just see these stickers being peeled off of our cars. Either to be used by others or just for spite.

But...if they stick on too well....they'll damage the car or we'll never be able to get them off.

With my registration I razor blade through it so it comes off in pieces if they try to steal it. I'm not doing that to these stickers with my paintjob underneath. What to do?

Can I put a little 3M film over it? Like a little sticker bra?

3. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks easy to make a forgery. I live on Long Island and happen to be lucky. It takes me 15 minutes to get to work. Congrats to you left coasters!!

4. cc_prius

cc_prius New Member

The only way to take of a registration sticker in tact is if you place one sticker on top of the previous year sticker. Otherwise the picture part of the sticker is damaged.

I too am worried about the stickers on the bumpers. When this law expires in two years we are all going to look like idiots. Also, if we have to renew each year, how do we get the sticker off to place the new one to prevent theft. Do we have to have a row of them like SF parking passes?

Oh well, I can ponder these questions while whizzing past traffic.

5. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Must the stickers be on the bumper? Cos' if you can stick this on your license plate, you can then put on a license cover + security license nuts.

6. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm

Removing a Sticker:

Warning! Once a sticker is affixed to the vehicle, it cannot be removed without being destroyed. If you decide you no longer want the Clean Air Stickers on your vehicle, please call the sticker manufacturer for information and assistance in removing a Series 690 product. The telephone number is 1-800-553-1380. At the first telephone prompt, press #4. At the second prompt, press #2.

The rear quarter panels are the ones that will look stange and be very hard to remove- see below:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/newsrel/2005-08.htm

DMV has been prepared to move forward with the special sticker distribution program for several months, said DMV Director Joan Borucki. "The yellow stickers will come in a packet of four and will differentiate hybrids from other clean air vehicles. A single sticker must be placed on the front bumper, the back bumper and on the rear quarter panels on both sides of each qualifying vehicle. We are absolutely ready and anxious to get the stickers out to customers as soon as possible," she said.

7. wstander

wstander New Member

Heh Heh, I have to chuckle about how my silver car will look with these bright yellow stickers: Reminds me of the CAUTION labels on military aircraft and ships...

Iwonder if there will be 2 styles, left and right and perhaps 2 sizes...

Guess I will know in2 weeks

8. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    May not be to scale but this may be what it looks like.

9. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HAHAHAHAAH love the mock-up picture

10. exhuman

exhuman Member

I'm considering placing my stickers in alternate locations and taking my chances. If they are small enuf, the quarter panel stickers could go somewhere on that little triangular window on the back of each side of the car. The back bumper one could go somewhere low on the lower back window glass. The front one could go maybe somewhere low or high on the windshield?

Any ideas?

11. wstander

wstander New Member

I like your ideas on placement and it would work well on Prii; don't know about the other cars.

I would hope that the stickers would be reactive like the license tag-stickers and so could fit in the plate well. that leaves the side mount ones that could easily occupy the rear quarter windows.

But, you just know they will be UGLY, HUGE, and will be required on the painted plastic parts ......

(Walt just left mumbling about over paid bureacratic numbskulls...)

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully you guys can stick it on the inside of the windows.

13. Erick

Erick Member

If it goes on the inside, it would mess up our tint.

I just can't believe we have to put FOUR of these lame stickers on our car! I'd almost rather sit in traffic for an extra 20 minutes a day then have these things on there. UGLY. Why can't we just use a small window sticker like the previous clean air sticker? I guess they need a better way to enforce the law and having bright yellow stickers tatooed all over our bumpers makes it easier for the CHP to see them. Maybe they should just make us paint our cars bright yellow instead! Okay, enough ranting... I guess we can't have everything...

14. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Only $8 for a replacement? I smell a black market brewing...

15. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It appears that these stickers are using 3M Scotchlite material. I've attached a pdf from 3M on the material, how to install, and what to do when removing.

16. exhuman

exhuman Member

Thanks for the research and pdf file, mehrenst. Even after reading about the removal process, I still feel a little leery about putting that sticker on my car's bumper or finish. I still feel tempted to put it just on the glass surfaces. Maybe I'll end up being the first person arrested for civil disobedience in protecting the civil rights of a Prius.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As for forgery, I suspect these stickers are going to have little holographic seals of California all over them. That's what those light yellow "polka dots" look like on the decal picture.

As for placement, I bet they come with a generic picture of a car with placement locations. I don't mind the front and back bumpers. I do mind the side rear panels. I think I'll try the windows on the sides.

I think these will be like tint. As long as you're not being pulled over for another violation, I think they'd let placement slide. But if you're speeding and the cop is ticked, he might take exception to the placement. But that's just another $8 for replacement and correct position.

I'll go with the windows.

18. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a non-Californian, this is a terrible compromise for hybrid drivers. Let's see, hand them a large, ugly, yellow, reflective sticker to stick on all 4 corners of their vehicle and also charge 8 bucks for the right and obligation to place said ugly stickers all over your expensive new cars.

Why not just issue a tab for front and rear plates which is yellow and says the safe stuff. I mean, give me a break. If CHP is so worried about a relative handful of hybrids and cng vehicles using diamond lanes let them tailgate you to find that out.

I'm glad Washington State is poor right now. They aren't thinking about creating new expensive sticker programs. In fact the state is so poor that the last legislative session was a real money grab. Too bad for us the lowly "silent majority" taxpayer.

19. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hmmm, i think the FOUR BOLD BRIGHT YELLOW SHINY stickers serves a few basic purposes.

1- it identifies your car as being registered for HOV lanes.

2- it advertises your car as being lucky enough to drive in HOV lanes when you're not in them. (you'll make all of the soccer moms jealous in the field parking lot).

3- it's showing you there's a cost to the HOV lane. not just your 8 bucks, but your SOUL TOO. =)

i definitely am going to try and put these on the windows. i don't want to mess up my paint! yuck. but i'm sold. take me to the carpool lane, and now i can tell my carpool buddies i don't need them (jk, even tho i don't).

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That taxi yellow color is looking better every day. :eek: