1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clean your plate... or don't come back...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amm0bob, Jun 7, 2010.

?
  1. Yes... it's their place... their rules.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Yes... especially if the serve meals of limited resources like meat.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes... if they tell you you have too eat it all, you have to eat it all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No... They can tell you to leave though.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. No... they can't tell you you have to clean your plate.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. No... like they think they are my mother...

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  7. If you want to eat there, follow the rules.

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  8. I like pie.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chef to diners: Clean plate or be banned! - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com

If I don't want to finish something... it's my choice.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They are upfront with their rules, you can choose to spend your dining money elsewhere. It is not like they have a monopoly on food.

My local pizza place says "No outside Food or Drinks." It is their rules and they are on the door as you go in. It will cost them diners who have young children.

3. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    If they make it clear everywhere they advertise - it is fine.

But, I'm not sure eating everything constitutes sustainable environment. Composting what is left over would be nice ... BTW, do they serve "guilt free whale meat" ?

4. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Guilt free... Bra... Do you mean "found-on-beach"...

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm torn on this one. No, they can't make someone clean their plate, and shouldn't even try. But yes, they can tell someone to not return.

With normal Supersized American fare, being forced to clean one's plate merely adds to our serious obesity problem. Preventing waste by putting it to waist is not reasonable. When I was overweight, I had to offend both grandmothers, dad, and numerous hosts who tried to push too much food on me, before I could get control of my weight.

But it seems that Japanese establishments are less guilty of the supersized portion disease afflicting normal most American eateries. So it becomes more an issue of being forced to like every serving well enough to finish it, and being able to choose the portion size put on one's plate.

I'll pass.

6. Prius101

Prius101 Paid off Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do they not allow you to take the rest home? Do they allow substitutions? One would have to be VERY careful there if one has food allergies (or thing the doctor doesn't want one to eat...).
    Article doesn't answer all the questions...

7. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No soup for you...

For some reason... I see a Seinfeld skit coming on in this one too...

1 person likes this.
  8. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I wouldn't eat at this restaurant and I'm Japanese. Why? Because when the owner/chef is so much into discipline, the employees are on guard as well, and in the end the quality of the food suffers. If I were her, I would concentrate on making delicious meals in small quantities and if there are left overs, pack it up and give to them to take home. If they complain that the portions are small I would then ask them to go Outback Steak House the next time.

In Los Angeles, there was a sushi chef who had a sign on the wall behind him that said "Today's Special: Trust Me" and "We do not serve California rolls or spicy tuna, please don't ask". I've seen him scolding his customer for using too much wasabi and soy sauce. Well guess what? just listening to him getting ticked off and rattling on his employees and customers made the dining experience uncomfortable. A restaurant should be a happy place where customers come to stuff their face as much or as little as he pleases, especially if he or she is paying for it.

9. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, it's their place and their rules. But it may be difficult to enforce (how will they keep track of the violators? Big color photographs on the wall as you enter?)

10. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Being a Sydney restaurant, I thought that I would have a look at their web-site. On their home page they cover a lot of Prius101's concerns:
    "Our food is created with careful attention to providing balance and nourishment for all. We cater conscientiously for people with specific dietary restrictions; vegans, vegetarians, coeliacs, and those with food allergies etc. are especially welcome."

In their "eat-in policy" they also state:
    "If you think you might have trouble finishing your meal, order a little less or tell us in advance so that we might put less rich on your plate, for example. As an extra precaution, you could also bring a sturdy reusable container."

Might actually try them out - the menu has a couple of interesting looking dishes, and my family love Japanese style cooking.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I never leave food on my plate. I ask for a container and take home what I cannot eat there. I've paid for it, and it's mine to take home. But just leaving it for the trash is wasteful, and the owner has a right to say no to that. According to AussieOwner's post, they suggest you bring a reusable container. Problem solved. (They also happily serve smaller portions to people who request that.)

At all-you-can-eat restaurants, I see people leaving half a plate of food. That is just plain irresponsible. At those places I take a full plate and finish it. If I'm still hungry I take a small second portion, one I know I can finish. You can always go back a third time. At these places you're paying for all you can eat, not all you can eat plus half a plate full of food! A lot of people seem to to think it's a contest: whoever eats the most wins: first prize: heart disease from obesity.

I was at an upscale lodge. There was a family there. Mom, dad, and adolescent daughter. The mom was grossly obese. The daughter was fat. The meal was great. The mom suggested the daughter (who, as I said was fat, and who had eaten a big and delicious meal) have a second dessert. The daughter said "No thank you, I'm full." The mom started nagging the daughter to eat some more. She nagged and nagged, and when the daughter didn't give in, the mom went to the buffet counter and brought another dessert to the daughter, who, having it put in front of her, ate it.

I'd have liked to strangle that mother. She seemed to want to make sure that her daughter got as fat as she was. That is child abuse. There's no other word for it.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i REGULARLY eat with someone who plans to "doggie bag" it. she loves to take her leftovers home and eat them later.

she simply is incapable of eating a lot at one time. i see that is not an option on the poll, and it should be added. but then again, the owner is the owner. if you dont like it. eat elsewhere

around here at "all you can eat" buffets, many post a sign that a surcharge applies if you waste too much food. iow, if you take it, eat it.