1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaner burning fuel??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chezypuffs, Apr 5, 2006.

1. chezypuffs

chezypuffs New Member

OK, this may be a dumb question but, are hybrids really a clean fuel car or are they just called this because of the higher MPG? Do the emissions that the hybrids emit are they the same as any other car?
    I guess I'm just curious about these other normal gas cars that are out (VW GTI, Toyota Yaris, etc) there that average over 40 MPG, is my Prius that is averaging 48 MPG that much better?

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Chezypuffs,

I think your comparison is off. 48 is a realworld Prius performance, versus the 40 MPG you give being EPA highway result for the smaller/slower Yaris. On an equal EPA to EPA comparison, the Prius has a combined average of 55 mpg, and the Yaris has 37 (34city/40hwy) mpg.

So, the Prius makes less polution in a no-traffic driving enviorment by the ratio of the EPA results, or 37/55 in comparison to the Yaris. For a car of equivent size and acceleration performance, this ratio would be even greater. More like 28/55.

Besides this comparison , which is only good in no-traffic conditions, the Prius has the advantage that in a poor traffic conditions it emits well less than other Gasoline cars, as the Prius Engine will actually shut off (even though it might still be turning with no gas being burned in some situations). Even rolling down the road the Prius can have the engine off. In these slow and go driving traffic conditions, so typical of urban/suburban commutes, that Prius can see 100 MPG plus mileage, although 75 MPG is very common. This is even a greater improvement over the standard gasoline Yaris, a reduction ratio of 30/75 . In stop and go traffic, the Prius will shut down the engine during prolonged stops. The short term unforseen, but inevitable situation of being stuck in a traffic jam is not an enviromental/efficiency nightmare with a Prius.

3. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Apr 5 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]235355[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, MANY cars are rated PZEV. Focus, Accord, Altima, Toyota Camry, Jetta, just to name a few. Here’s the list http://www.driveclean.ca.gov/en/gv/vsearch...ehicletypeid=16

Prius is AT-PZEV, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZEV, which is just as clean as PZEV but with higher mileage and longer emission warranty (15 year/150,000 mile).

5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I've always been wondering...how do these gas-only cars do the PZEV thing? Special engines? And what's with 'availability' only being in CA and some northeast states? Why can't I get a PZEV Ford Focus here in S. Dakota? Would I order it from CA stock and have it shipped?

Yes, yes, I know our air here is much better than many other states, but all the same it'd be nice to get these PZEVs in ALL states.

Inquiring minds want to know...

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrids are called hybrids because they use two propulsion systems. Some pollute less (Insight, Prius, Escape Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, Civic Hybrid), some pollute just the same - SULEV (HiHy, RX400h, Accord Hybrid).

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Looks like you got all the answers.

The Prius has some of the lowest emissions (THE lowest?) of any gasoline car on the road. There are many cars that emit much less... but they don't burn gasoline - and in today's world, they just don't count. ;(

But bottom line - if you want a gasoline car that emits less than any other, and gets great mileage, the Prius is a winner.