1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning bus bars

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by avoice217, Oct 31, 2023.

1. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I'm about to start working on possibly replacing some of the battery modules. However there's a post in the forums about the worry on replacing the original copper bus bars with nickel plated bus bars. There's a video on Youtube where a guy talks about using sulfuric acid and I am open to that (seems to be the fastest way to get rid of the corrosion). However, it seems that the closest thing to getting sulfuric acid is by using a drain clog of some sort. My biggest worry is that this won't get all of the corrosion away from the bus bar. Has anyone tried using some form of drain clogging liquid to get rid of the corrosion? Also just fyi I did see a video where someone used a mix of vinegar and baking soda, but unfortunately I'm not good on conversions for that.

I'm open to ideas.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    simple white vinegar. If you are really worried, you can buy a new frame wire with the new bus bars.

part 82165-47040

3. Primetime Paul

Primetime Paul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Watched some videos with Project Lithium/Dr. Prius and the guy over there uses white vinegar (Acetic Acid) to clean his bus bars on his test cars.
    I've used vinegar to clean rusted and corroded parts for motorcycles and other things, works well.
    Soak them for a couple hours and hit em with a brush, repeat as needed, should be good.

Pixel 7 Pro ?

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A rock tumbler is the non-chemical method I prefer the most... I got lots of extra clean ones that I can send you if you promise to send me your old ones...

Maria Camille likes this.
  5. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So unfortunately I had to stop early for the day as one of the bolts to the back seat just refused to come loose, so feeling a little defeated by that. However I got most of the work done in terms of trying to get the battery itself out. I guess if anything, I just don't understand why they have to machine tighten it so much that even a regular drill can't loosen the bolt. A little annoying, but at least I'm able to take care of it on my own in the future, once I get this last bolt.

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those particular threads get crossed really easy and if someone has worked on your pack before, they tend to tighten them with their air ratchet way too tight. A Prius pack that's never been worked on has those bolts come off real easy like. Just get a big breaker bar and manually get it undone... I actually get kind of exctied if those bolts are too tight, because sometimes it means the pack has been replaced by a brand new one that is much younger than the age of the car, which is great news to share with someone who rolled the dice on a used Prius.

#6 PriusCamper, Oct 31, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  7. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey PriusCamper, so I did a little bit of research and Google said that getting an impact socket set with a impact drill will help to get it taken care of. Since it's already dark here, I'm gonna get after it first thing when I wake up tomorrow. But aside from that, the majority of the bolts can off like regular clockwork. Also to my knowledge, no one has ever worked in the interior of the car before me. After all, im the only other owner of the car (my mom being the original). I also just learned in a Youtube video that its a really good practice to service the hybrid batteries every year, but I find that to be way too soon. So I'm going to service the batteries every 5 years, especially since I should have the money to get myself a quad battery charger at that point.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're going to go the route of cleaning the busbars, just use muriatic acid. It will clean them in 10 seconds and leave the copper alone. It's available cheap at any Lowe's or Home Depot and is used to clean/etch concrete prior to painting/sealing. It's the same stuff that you can dip and old crappy looking (copper) penny into, and 5 seconds later it looks like it just came from the mint.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If by "servicing" you mean reconditioning NiMh with 3 progressively deeper cycles of discharge after full charge and balance, then I'd suggest that in my experience of working on packs you want to do that every 18 months once your pack is ten years or older. That doesn't mean you have to pull the pack... Just install the wires once and then plugin your charger and discharger for few days every 18 months.

Had the CARB states that required 150K mile / 10-year warranty looked into the science of Nickel-based batteries they'd realize that it'd been way, way better to require all Prius be equipped with a plug-in deep cycling system to be used after not using the car for a long period of time or when a dash light indicated to do so.

Instead we got Toyota improving their odds on that harsher warranty requirement by eliminating the EV mode function in US and lowering battery capacity loss to 50% before it throws a dashlight. As in they didn't want deep cycling to interfere with selling new battery packs so the actual science of maximum longevity of NiMH was disregarded and a huge amount of batteries were wasted before their time.

10. Primetime Paul

Primetime Paul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A standard drill is not very good at loosening fasteners, you're better off loosening it by hand with a ratchet or an impact driver or impact wrench.

Pixel 7 Pro ?

Brian1954 likes this.
  11. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Primetime Paul, so yes in this case I ended up learning the hard way that its best to loosen it by regular arm strength. Apparently all of mine was zapped when it came to loosening 3 of the seat bolts yesterday. Thankfully today I was fresh and it took maybe 15 secs to get the final bolt loose. So now all the bolts are removed and the battery is able to be picked up. Now I'm just waiting on my neighbor to become available so that I can borrow him to help me carry the battery pack to the backyard and begin removing the bus bars and getting them cleaned up. But also I can begin to test the modules to figure out which ones are really bad.

#11 avoice217, Nov 1, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
    Primetime Paul likes this.
  12. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all, small little update: so I have the battery pack on the bench in the backyard and have been working on it. Right now I'm trying to figure out which settings on my multimeter I need to use in order to test the voltage. Unfortunately all videos seem to use those high price Fluke meters & all I have is the cheap ones from Harbor Freight. So just need to understand which setting I need to use to figure out which battery modules are bad.

There was a video on isolation fault testing and I wish I could do that in order to avoid testing all the modules, but I believe my multimeter isn't so advanced and thus I'll have to test them all. Just for reference, I just want to fix the initial issue and them later on I plan check them all and charge them all up when I get my hands on a quad battery charger (however if someone knows of a good solid dual battery charger similar to the cq3, then I'm open to it).

13. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So update #2: so I finally found a video that helped me to test the voltage on my modules. Unfortunately the voltage told me that all the modules are good in terms of voltage, all reading anywhere from 7.2-7.5v. Now I'm wondering if I need to go to Harbor Freight and buy a load tester to see how each will do under load tests or wondering what should be the next step? I currently have the bus bars soaking in vinegar as I don't see the need to go to Home Depot and buy a whole gallon of muriatic acid for just one small task & probably never use it again (we don't have a pool, which is the most popular use of muriatic acid in our area).

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have standard Halogen lights, just use one of your headlight bulbs. It is 55watts at 12volts and is ideal for load testing modules. Record the voltage drop at the two minute mark of the light running on a module. A healthy module will only lose 0.2 to 0.4 volts.

15. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok thanks for the idea PriusCamper. I'll work on that tomorrow.

16. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I just learned a rather quick homemade hack in terms of the bus bars. So using boiling water with salt and half a cup of vinegar gets majority of the corrosion off with about 10-15 minutes.

17. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all so here's the latest on my bus bars. So I ended up using a mix of 2 methods to clean mine. First was the boiling & after I dried them, I ended up using 2000 grit sandpaper to polish them up to where they're at now. Anyways I'm gonna go get myself a load tester now & focus on testing the modules to see if any of them are really bad or not. I'm happy with how the bus bars came out though.

Attached Files:

Primetime Paul likes this.
  18. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok so latest update: I found 2 modules under load testing that started under 7v. They did start at 6.9, but like the rest of the pack they held under the test. So I'm thinking that they're gonna be possibly questionable for now & just order 2 modules just to be on the safe side until I can get enough $$ set aside to get myself a dual battery charger & then get them back up to their proper range.

Any thoughts on this by chance?

19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's the person who sells highest quality modules: https://2ndlifebattery.com/contact-us/

Also try to avoid replacing both modules in the same block... You might have to move some modules around to avoid the problem that comes when you're trying to match replacement modules to your existing pack. Two replacement modules in the same block makes that problem worse.

Do you plan on doing a reconditioning of your pack?

20. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So the interesting thing in my situation is that both modules are just separated by 1 module. The one module between them is perfectly fine, which I find very weird.

Also yes I am considering reconditioning the pack, but not really sure how well the reconditioning will help, despite the fact that only 2 modules are bad.