1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cleaning interior

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by relafrend, Jun 17, 2006.

1. relafrend

relafrend New Member

Help. My dog jumped in the car with pitch all over her paws and I can't get it off the seats. Any ideas?

2. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    What is pitch?

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmrickie @ Jun 17 2006, 09:19 AM) [snapback]272696[/snapback]</div>
    From Dictionary.com:

Code:
    pitch    Pronunciation Key  (pch)
    n. 
    Any of various thick, dark, sticky substances obtained from the distillation residue of coal tar, wood tar, or petroleum and used for waterproofing, roofing, caulking, and paving. 
    Any of various natural bitumens, such as mineral pitch or asphalt. 
    A resin derived from the sap of various coniferous trees, as the pines. 

tr.v. pitched, pitch·ing, pitch·es 
    To smear or cover with or as if with pitch.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(relafrend @ Jun 17 2006, 06:02 AM) [snapback]272639[/snapback]</div>
    A long time ago, there was a debate on PriusChat whether the upholstery material in the Prius was Alcantara. It probably is not, but it is a microfiber so the Alcantara maintenance instructions should be applicable to it.

Alcantara® Maintenance instructions

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(relafrend @ Jun 17 2006, 06:02 AM) [snapback]272639[/snapback]</div>
    Pitch can be disolved with turpentine. I have used it for years on the exterior with great results. It will not harm the microfiber material.

6. dbaro

dbaro New Member

Turpentine will remove pitch but if used extensively in the car's interior I'm not sure you will ever get the smell out.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had a spot of some sticky black tar like substance on my ivory seats after I put a box from CostCo on them.

I got it off with Goo Gone or Goof Off or something like that. Now...don't panic. It got it off but there was a black stain where I rubbed. So....I used some soap and water and rubbbed and THAT came out too. You can't tell where it was.

The seats really are amazing. I didn't believe the cloth would clean like it does...but it does.