1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning the dashboard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ChuckNobl, Jun 19, 2004.

1. ChuckNobl

ChuckNobl New Member

[font=Arial:eac05550d4] [/font:eac05550d4]
    Just got my Prius yesterday, and I love it. Got 48 MPG the first day thanks to suggestions from the forum.

Anybody got suggestions on what cleaner to use on the charcoal color dashboard material?

Thanks!

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

if it's just dust get a Swiffer long handled
    if it's greasy finger prints and such a Mr. Clean Magic Ereaser and a damp cloth followed by the Swiffer
    the MFD a micro-fiber cloth and use it dry.
    this has worked for our 3 Prius's.

3. jchu

jchu New Member

Made a little mistake in trying to clean the dash etc. After reading this thread went and bought a new microfiber cloth to clean everything not just the MFD screen. Didn't realize that there were little loose fuzzies on the new cloth. Also didn't realize that there is a small strip of fuzzy material just in front of the heads up speedometer/odometer display. It now has Microfiber fuzzies trapped in it. Hope the vacuum works!

4. Frank Hudon

the Swiffer will collect it just fine, if it's just dust I just use the Swiffe but after I clean it with the micro-fiber cloth I go over it with the Swiffer as well and it attracts all the little lint balls that seem to fall off the cloth.

5. tag

tag Senior Member

I just used those ArmorAll cleaning wipes on every part of the dash except, of course, the display (too chicken to try that). They seemed to work pretty well in removing all the dirt and dust.

6. kmbell

kmbell New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I use iKlear with a microfiber cloth on the display. This is the same thing that I use on my notebook computer and my iMac. It is a bit expensive but lasts foreve if you get the spray bottle and works great on all computer displays and iPods. Available at Apple stores, and online at http://www.klearscreen.com/

-Karen

7. jchu

jchu New Member

Mine are now firmly imbedded in the only fuzzy bit of material on the dash; a 1" x 4" strip between the heads-up display and the mirror which reflects it toward the driver :cussing: .

8. Frank Hudon

scotch tape and dabbit that will probably remove it.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What are some brand names for microfiber cloths?

10. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's my opinion that a company called Pinnacle sells the nicest micro-fiber cloths. You could just go to your local car-care store though. There is ushually a wide selection.

As far as cleaning my dash and interior goes, I use a terry-cloth with a mixture of Murphy's Oil Soap and Water.

Happy cleaning.

~Andrew

11. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I use a "California Duster" or something close to that, works great. It's at the auto stores for about 10 bucks and has a red mop-ish head.

12. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

I don't know what the Microscreen cloth is but I use the swifter thing on the smooth parts that works good.. I need something that works on taking finger prints off nav screen. Also the not so smooth parts of dash..

I never thought I would be so concerned of cleaning anything !

Thanks

13. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely. When my girlfriend sees me swiffering the dash she looks at me as if I've gone insane.

Is it a stereotype that women clean their houses and not their cars, and that men do the opposite?

14. myride

myride Junior Member

let me be the first to say my girl drives my car more than i do and cleans it less. with that said does anyone know if there is a clear item for covering the nav screen thats like whats used on the headlights of veh. something that u can take off and clean without fear of fluids on or in the touchscreen area? and any ideas on getting black marks outof the rear seat material? (friends child black soul shoes)

15. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A Swiffer followed by a damp microfibre cloth ought to clean the screen safely. (I have not tried the damp microfibre cloth 'because my screen doesn't get anything on it except dust; one certainly wants to remove as much loose dust before rubbing the screen.) And, uhh, depending on the brand of cloth it may be wise to wash the cloth before first use.

For the seat material, see the manufacturer's website for cleaning instructions: http://www.alcantara.it/english/automotive.../automotive.htm

16. chris_wass

chris_wass New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have one of these too, but it doesn't seem to pick up enough dust off of the touchscreen. That thing sure does attract dust! It is really dusty in Arizona anyway, but it seems that the screen attracts a heck of a lot of dust. I'll have to try out the microfiber, and I've been thinking of trying antistatic spray that's made for computer monitors.

17. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a little mixture of a couple things.

For all the smooth parts (radio.. door handle.. touchscreen ) I use a microfiber that i purchased from lenscrafters. Designed for glasses or camera lenses. I do not use any liquid when using this.

For the doors and front colored trim pieces ( i have the burgandy finish) i use "Trim Cleaner ( for interior surfaces)" from www.moreshine.com and sprayed a coating of " More Shine Less Time ( for vinyl, plastic & rubber). What this did for me is eliminate the problem of finger prints. I applied it do the drive side of the car. Now, only the passenger side has finger prints and marks on the doors. I applied that almost a month ago. I could re apply it.. but not needed yet. The drivers side looks awesome. Plus.. it brings out the Plum color. It no longer looks dark grey.

I have not really figured out a good way to clean the black. I'm still working on it. I did apply a finish coat of "more shine less time" but i have not compaired my car to anyone elses to see if there is a noticable differnce. I made the mistake of covering my entire dash.. hehe.. oops.

I used "Invisible Glass" to clean the speedometer display and the back plastic. It's plastic.. but still cleans well with it. I use invisible glass on every window and mirror. It works great.. especialy when you use newspaper.

For those who are worried about Stoner (moreshine.com) products being in an arrisol can.. read up on their webpage. They are actualy good products.

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have been using a product klear screen that I use for my power book. I comes with a liquid impregnated micro fiber cloth and a second dry one in separate packets. www.KlearScreen.com Works very well. After I am done I clean my glasses! Good for cameras, computer monitors. I have been using window cleaner wipes on the windows and plastic parts. Works well.

19. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've used Armor-ALL spray on the whole dash, including the MFD screen, and it works fine. Only caveat about using it on the screen is to make sure it doesn't run down into the bottom of the screen, although I don't think there is anything in there it would hurt. I think the MFD is a sealed unit with its own screen behind the screen we are cleaning which is connected to the dash board.
    Pledge also works. We use pledge on the airplane windscreen.
    Bob

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Pledge !??! :? Please expand. I thought you used Pledge on wood. Inside the windscreen or outside? Why?