1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning the Engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pimpjuice480, Apr 13, 2007.

1. pimpjuice480

pimpjuice480 New Member

Has anyone took there prius to the car wash and hosed down the engine to clean off the dust inside I live in arizona out in the Country Casagrande and it is dusty as hell out here, Would it be safe for me to wash the engine or would I end up screwing some thing up?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd stick with just a small brush and dust the dust away. That's what I usually do. Then get a damp cloth and wipe the major areas.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consider the hood seals and whatnot that Toyota uses to keep rain and road water out of the drive compartment. Hosing down the engine might be a good way of hosing yourself.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pimpjuice @ Apr 13 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]422699[/snapback]</div>
    I wash them (both cars) a couple of times a year. Now that I've said that there are some things you have to do after you wash the engine compartment. You have to take the ignition coils out and blow the water out of the spark plug tubes. If you don't do this the car will eventually start missing and running rough. And it will set the CEL. This from experience. Now that I know that it will do all of that and I can eliminate any problems I just wash it when ever it gets dirty. I don't use a pressuer washer just a normal garden hose and I try not to flood the relay/fuse boxes with water. Just fire up the compressor and blow things dry after and you will not harm anything. If the car couldn't endure a bit of water it sure wouldn't last here with 300 inches of rain a year.

5. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pimpjuice @ Apr 13 2007, 11:21 AM) [snapback]422699[/snapback]</div>
    I have washed the engine compartment of all my cars from year one and treat the Prius just like any other. Use a a little engine cleaner, let sit, rinse off with water sparingly. Do not concentrate water on anything that looks electrical! Make sure car is at ambient temperature before starting, you don't want to crack a hot exhaust manifold. Put car out on clothes line to dry.