1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning the inside of the windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FishHawk, Aug 5, 2006.

1. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

It is quite difficult to clean the interior of the windshield. Is anyone else having the same problem? The problem is trying to get to the front of the windshield which is at a difficult angle. FishHawk

2. Lola'05

Lola'05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Aug 5 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]298297[/snapback]</div>
    "Quite difficult" doesn't describe it for me. I am not tall and I don't have gorilla-like long arms. It really takes some twisting and stretching to get that window clean and free of streaks.

3. marjam

marjam Member

I agree that it is very hard to clean the inside of the windshild. I once saw a type of long -handled sponge that twists and fits to contours and a long reach. I wish I had bought it! I am having the car's interior detailed soon and hope that they will be able to clean it better than I or my wife can. And she has long arms!

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think its a pain also. I've been wanting to try something like the swiffer sweeper on the windshield but with a shorter handel.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it is. Not because of the angle but because of the size. It's hard to get it streak free. So many times I thought it was clean only to see all the streaks when driving with the sun at such an angle that I can see the marks.

7. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 5 2006, 05:02 PM) [snapback]298338[/snapback]</div>
    Awsome! I ordered one to try it out. Thanks!

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Aug 5 2006, 04:18 PM) [snapback]298353[/snapback]</div>
    Please report back with how well you think it worked...Obviouisly it'll help with the 'reach' issue, but does it clean well?

9. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 5 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]298377[/snapback]</div>
    I sure will. :D

10. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 5 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]298377[/snapback]</div>
    Evan,
    I have been using a similar product for over a year. It really makes the cleaning of the windshield and the hatch glass a lot easier. The shape gets into the hard to reach corners and edges.

Don't go for their Haze-free glass cleaner. It is loaded with wax that really streaks the side windows.

This is the one that I bought. I got the kit;
    http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?...pid=3422&cid=35

1 person likes this.
  11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cool, thanks for the tip. Do you use store bought cleaner with it...can you just use something like "Invisible Glass"?

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm, that reminds me my windshield is streaky again. i have few problems cleaning the passenger side... but the driver's side with the steering wheel in the way is a real pita.

13. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 5 2006, 06:42 PM) [snapback]298474[/snapback]</div>
    I use Invisible Glass, great stuff.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My 2004 Prius is no worse than the 2000 GMC Sierra I used to have. Here are some tips that work for me to give a clean, streak-free windscreen:

1. Take threadbare towels from the bathroom and "demote" them to other duties. I use them to clean my hardwood floors, ceramic tiles, and also the interior/exterior glass of my Prius. I use the old towels once and toss them in the washing machine with normal laundry loads.

2. Invisible Glass really does work, assuming you follow tip #1. Using paper towel is a no-no, as most paper towel contains color additives, precipitated calcium carbonate, etc that leaves nasty streaking behind.

As far as actually reaching the glass, again no worse than my 2000 GMC Sierra. Minivans can be worse, a co-worker with a new Honda Odyssey is always complaining about that issue

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh.. damn it! I've been using Bounty and windex to clean the window...

ok.. so threadbare towels.... how do they look like? If not, what are their substitutes?

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 7 2006, 09:58 PM) [snapback]299426[/snapback]</div>
    Actually Bounty paper towels don't appear to cause much streaking. The worst offenders are the cheap no-name paper towels. To save money the paper co extends the additive treat with a lot of clay and precipitated calcium carbonate, and that streaks like crazy.

Threadbare bath towels: cotton towels a bit too ratty to leave out in case guests should show up. I never throw things like that away, I'm too cheap. Like I said, I "demote" them to other dutues like cleaning my hardwood floor, cleaning mirrors and car glass, and finally when they're really shot, to wipe my greasy hands after packing bearings.

Or servicing an automatic transmission: that's a messy job at the best of times. Then they go straight to the garbage can.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there's nothing wrong with re-using. There are too many places in this world where resources are being wasted.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My parents taught me the Three R's: reuse, recycle, rethink.

You can thank - or blame - my parents for how cheap I am. They were "conservative" in the very literal sense. Compared to them, I spend money like a drunk sailor in a Red Light District, but compared to my peers, I'm a real Scrooge.

Doesn't matter if you truly care about the planet, or are just a cheap bastard like I am, the end result is still good for everybody.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have no threadbare towels. There's just me and I just don't wear them out that enough to be threadbare.

I use Meguiar's terry towels for the windows. They're white. I use the Meguiar's microfiber towels for the car (yellow).

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 8 2006, 10:15 PM) [snapback]299996[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, those work too. I must buy real cheap bath towels, I never get more than 5 years out of them.