1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning the screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harper42, Jul 24, 2006.

1. harper42

harper42 Member

What's the best way to clean the screen?

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Jul 24 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]291810[/snapback]</div>
    I keep a microfibre cleaning cloth in the center console--same kind I use to clean my glasses. I just give it a quick blow to get off any dust and then wipe away w/ the cloth. No liquids...too many of 'em say "do not use" on this or that kinda surface...But, I've not tried eating bbq in the car then tapping the MFD, so no really greasy fingermarks yet to deal with! :rolleyes:

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    DO NOT - let me repeat that - DO NOT use anything abrasive on the screen.

Someone some time ago reported having some window cleaner on their cloth and decided to give the screen a wipe. They said that it fogged up their screen.

I have never used anything wet on the screen, like Rufaro said, I have microfiber towels that I use.

4. SAPrius

SAPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In addition, if you are keeping records of your mileage, consider cleaning your Multi Display screen while your Prius is powered off. You might accidently hit the reset button and lose those numbers. Not a big deal as you can eventually recreate your data. :rolleyes:

5. gyudaddy

gyudaddy Junior Member

Take care of your MFD screen as you do your LCD monitor if you have. I have some wet papers that are specially made to clean LCD screens with micro-fiber lint-free cloth, but eye glasses-cloth would do it too. Don't push it too hard, and don't use any glass or tv clear.

6. Tatania

Tatania Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a micro fiber cloth as well. Got 2 in a pack and had one for my LCD computer screen and put the other in my car. Also note do not use tissues, kleenex or paper towels. These are very abrasive and you'll end up with scratches relatively soon.

7. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

I repeat DO NOT use glass cleaners on the screen .....DO NOT......
    I tried using them only to fog the screen........just use moist microfiber cloth........

8. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 24 2006, 11:47 PM) [snapback]291811[/snapback]</div>

Yep. Same here. Works great.

9. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I use special cloths and spray made by Kensington for LCD type montiors. I spray a very small amount on the wipe and then clean the screen.

Microfiber cloths alone are ok, but you have to be extremely careful that any larger particles on the screen are removed first, else the cloth just grind them into the screen.

10. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OOPS! :( I just used windex today to clean! Seems ok though! Wont use again if risking a cloudy screen.I use cheese cloth to wipe it with.

11. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SAPrius @ Jul 25 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]291911[/snapback]</div>

I, also, keep a microfiber cloth in the console. It only took one time to learn to clean the screen while the car is powered off.

12. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Theoretical considerations aside, Windex works fine.

13. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you use any kind of a liquid cleaner, spray it on your cloth first--never spray directly on the screen! I use just a plain ol' microfiber cloth that I keep in the glove compartment.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use the same Kensington Screen Guardian and lint free cloth on the car that I use on my laptop.

Some microfiber towels can scratch, especially the cheap ones.

I use a high quality microfiber on the car when I wash. And when you wash the microfibers, make sure you don't wash them with anything else. No mixing fabrics. No bleach, no fabric softner and no granular detergents. I use quilt soap but a liquid detergent would be fine. I also dry mine all by themsleves too.

15. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Jul 24 2006, 11:43 PM) [snapback]291810[/snapback]</div>
    I use a product called " Wipe N Clear " Lens wipes. They're non abrasive & anti static. The container reads

Flents brand Wipe "N" Clear lens wipes are treated to clean lens surface repel dust and resist fogging. Good for glass and plastic lenses, even those with anti-reflective coatings. Cleans eyeglasses and sunglasses, binoculars, camera lenses, goggles and computer monitors.

http://www.drugstore.com/templates/brand/d...aparam=xsp77209

16. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

I just ordered a screen protector for my new Prius. I'll let you guys know how it is when I put it on and use it. For the meantime, I use my cleaning cloth that came with my Oakley Sunglasses. It doesn't scratch the lens.

17. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Aug 13 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]302741[/snapback]</div>
    It's touch to get those on without getting air bubbles or a dust bunnies :huh: :huh: :huh: ..........

18. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Aug 13 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]302742[/snapback]</div>
    If you get the NuShield protector you wont get bubbles. If you clean it right before putting it on you wont get any dust either. I've had one for a few months now and I cant even tell I have one on my screen. I highly recommend the NuShield screen protector.

19. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Jul 24 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]291810[/snapback]</div>
    In January 06 we bought a screen protector for the Prius 2005 from www.screenpatronus.com for $12.50 USD plus $3.99 USD (shipping and handling to BC,Canada). It arrived in about a week and applied easily in about 2 minutes....no bubbles just followed directions and it fits perfectly. Cleans up no problem with eyeglass cleaner.
    Gary

20. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Whatever you do to clean your MFD, be careful as the surface is quite scratch-able. Wet or dry, make sure all forms of grit are gone before wiping. The nice person who was caring for my Prius during its first two years left a huge, hideous vertical gouge (scratch it really too mild a term) on the MFD. Thankfully, it all but disappears when the screen is on. Still, it's just nasty to look at when I get in. I put a protector over it (a smaller piece I had left over from a Palm device) as an experiment to see if it would conceal it, and the gouge showed right through. If this had been an average car, I might not have been willing to accept this. But being an otherwise pristine 04, with a clean oil filler and only 15k miles -- well, you get the idea. It's bad, but liveable.

Be careful -- be very careful. . .