1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning throttle body and air throat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by andyprius, Apr 11, 2011.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Generally I spray the MAF sensor when cleaning my air filter. This time, since the car now has 95,000 miles on it, I thought that I would give the throat and butterfly a good wipedown. I was amazed at the amount of black gunk that had accumulated. Since I removed the air filter holder I was able to spray both sides of the MAF sensor. This is an incredibly easy job for the DYer. They say this even increases your mpg. ( ? ). :D. Trip to Las Vegas from Sacramento and return. TO: 62 mpg. Return: 50 mpg. Average 56 mpg. WINDS out of the SW on I 15 produced 69.3 mpg at one point! NOTE: Upon reinspecting this whole area again, I got a engine malfunction light, even tho I pushed the MAF sensor connector good til it clicked IN. I grabbed a giant screwdriver and gave the connector a gentle push, that did it and shut off the Engine malfunction symbol.

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I am curious if the MAF had a layer of buildup. It sounds from your description that most of the buildup was on the throttle plate and on the bottom of the throttle body. Do you feel that cleaning the MAF was truly necessary?

Thanks.

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes most was on the inside wall of the throttle body, how ever I'm right at that area, might as well give the MAF sensor a hit too. What ever dirt is on the walls should be representitive of what is also on the sensor, right? When it comes to preventive maint, there is no such thing as too much ( all within reason of course ). :cheer2: