1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning your windshield? DO NOT use 000 steel wool!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by F8L, Dec 3, 2010.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently had a scare during a rain storm while driving on the freeway. Let me first state that my vision is taking a turn for the worse. I had LASIK surgery 10yrs ago and I guess as you age the benefits start to fade. :(

The driver's side of my windshield had accumulated a layer of gunk that was invisible until the windshield gets wet. During the recent storm, the rain was very heavy and the fact it was dark out I could not see very well such that I had to lean into the passenger seat area to look out through that portion of the windshield.

I decided the windshield needed a cleaning. I first tried using Simple Green and a Scotch Bright "green" scrubbing sponge as I didn't have Windex. That didn't work at all. So I went out and bought some 000 steel wool. Now I have used 0000 steel wool with nary a problem and I had read that 000 will work fine without scratching the glass. What I read was wrong, at least with regards to the Prius windshield. :( The steel wool scratched the glass so bad that it looks like I have a thousand swirl marks or spider webs all over the glass. The scratches are tiny and not deep so I'm sure it can be polished out but since I do not have a quality buffer anymore nor can I supply the elbow grease needed to polish by hand, I will have to pay to have it fixed. bleh! On the bright side, the windshield is clear of gunk and RainX is awesome!

So in summary..... PLEASE DO NOT USE 000 STEEL WOOL TO CLEAN YOUR WINDSHIELD! :)

2 people like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The green pads are pretty abrasive too.

I'd suggest a spray can of automotive glass cleaner. I've been using one called Kleen-Flo Glass Kleen. It sprays on and foams up. leaves the glass pristine and streak free. Works both inside and out. After wiping off I'll use the still-damp cloth on the wiper blades.

There's a first aid caution saying it contains: isobutane, isopropanol (rubbing alchohol) and ethylene glycol monobutyl ether.

1 person likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't mean to sound negative.

And sincerely, thanks for the warning.

But why under any normal to semi-normal circumstance would you use anything as potentially abrasive as steel wool of any grade, or even a scotch brite scrubbing sponge?

Glass is glass, a non-porus surface whose clarity is determined in great part by it's smoothness.

Unless I was dealing with paint, glue or sap, or some direct substance that would not remove with the use of common glass cleaners and cloth...I'd avoid going at any glass with any substance that is abrassive.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't. :)

The windshields on my race cars would build up lots of gunk and normal glass cleaners did not seem to work well. I've used 0000 steel wool in the past with great results. The scotch brite pad did not scratch the glass on my girlfriend's Rav4 or her daughters Civic. I cleaned all 3 cars on the same day only I did not use the steel wool on their cars. I didn't want to risk it. :)

I tried using Simple Green then Windex and neither worked to clean that section of windshield. It makes me wonder if something about the windshield wiper on that side was causing a problem. I purchased a Bosche wiper for the driver's side and a RainX wiper for the passenger side to see which I liked better.

5. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1. I even cringe when using wet paper on glass and won't use dry paper at all.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry, I knew there was no way I could comment without sounding like an nice person. But as usual that barely slowed me down. That's fine, and sincerely good warning for those that do use, or have used steel wool in the past.

For me? It just seemed kind of obvious. I've never used steel wool on a window surface and when I read your title my initial reaction was "No Duh".

Of course I'm not racing cars...and I live in Oregon where the rain in of itself keeps the windshield from usually building up with anything too permanent. And I stay ontop of it. Usually bird droppings aside, my windshield is never usually at anytime anything more than lightly dusty....

I suppose if I lived in a dryer climate, or somewhere where there were a lot of bugs...perhaps steel wool might be something I'd consider. But up to reading your title the idea actually never even occured to me.

But no harm, no foul. I really did not mean to sound negative. Perhaps steel wool is a windshield cleaning technique that I was never introduced to....my ego is not such that I imagine I know all things about all things...

Also don't clean out your electric sockets using a bread knife...(just kidding).

7. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    the SOS pads used in the kitchen work good for tough spots on the windshield. I have used them many times without any problems.

The best that I have found for normal cleaning is windex with newspaper.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Stoner's "Invisible Glass" cleans way better than Windex. Use it with B&W newspaper pages, paper towels or better yet microfiber cloths. You can find it at car parts stores.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Over the years I've found the best method for any tough cleaning/polishing job is to start with the least abrasive product and progressively work your way up in strength. Sure it takes longer but it provides the best results.

10. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In general, glass is a pretty hard substance at somewhere between 6 and 7 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness depending on the manufacturing process. Steel is much softer typically somewhere between 4 and 4.5 with steel wool typically falling pretty close to 4.0. So unless there is some non-glass coating on the outside surface of the windshield, I wouldn't have expected scratches from either the Scotch Brite pad or any grade steel-wool (000, 00, or for that matter even 4). If, on the other hand, you were using a specialty steel wool such as stainless, then you are looking at the addition of chromium to the steel wool. Chromium having a hardness of 8.5, you could almost guarantee that it would scratch the glass. Also, if the steel wool you were using was not new/clean, and had bits of other material from previous use or storage near machine shop tools trapped between the strands (silicon sand, dust from grinding hardened steel, microscopic bits of glass, etc), or had a bit of rust on it (iron oxide coming in at 6 on the hardness scale) then that might also explain the scratches.

2 people like this.
  11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the summary. I did not expect it to scratch either. I've used 0000 (very fine) before and never had a problem. I knew I was taking a chance with 000 (fine). I only use brand new steel wool to do windshields and while this was new, it was not the same product I usually buy. There may have been something else in the "steel" that I didn't know about. The scratches are very fine but there are enough to be noticeable and very annoying when driving into the setting sun. :(

I generally use Invisible glass to clean my windows but I had left that at home and had to rely on products that my girlfriend had on hand.

12. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I learned the same lesson long time ago with steel wool and Scot Brite.
    I find the single edge razor blade works, but do it very slowly and keep the blade edge flat on the glass at about 40 degrees. The corner of the blade can scratch the glass if the blade is not perfectly flat on the glass.

1 person likes this.