1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clear Bra Alternatives

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ckbarnard, Mar 13, 2006.

1. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

I expect to take delivery of an '06 Seaside #4 this afternoon and am planning to have protective film put on soon. I've called the only two installers I can find who are certified to install the 3M product in the Bakersfield area. One of them (actually based in Tehachapi, but says he does most of his work in Bakersfield) indicates he prefers another product called VentureShield (aka Venture Tape and Invisible Patterns). He said it is the same price as 3M but has a lifetime warranty (meaning as long as you own the car), rather than the five years 3M offers. I checked out VentureShield's website http://www.ventureshield.com/ and must say I'm quite impressed, but before I go too gaga I wanted to see if anyone outside of that company has any experience with them? :huh:

What impressed me the most on the website are photos that demonstrate the film can be restored to pristine condition even after 30 months of driving without washing--simply by cleaning and heating (substantially) the film while it is still on the vehicle. Another series of photos show an abrasion on a protected bumper--made by striking a garage wall at 8 MPH--failed to puncture the film, and the abrasion could be lifted off entirely by removing the film, leaving the bumper totally clean and undamaged. There are also purported independent tests indicating this film's superiority over 3M, though I don't feel competent to judge or interpret these tests. Check it out. Please tell me what you think or--better--what you know.

ckb

2. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have VentureShield, but it's only a few weeks old. So far it looks fine. It may take a few years before I can vouch for its longevity. From what I can tell they are both good products. My VS installer claimed that VS is newer technology and will last longer. He also said it is easier to apply. Note that VS lacks the final clearcoat layer that 3M has. The advantage is that this makes the product a bit thinner and more "invisible". However, this also means that it should be waxed and sealed along with the regular paint for maximum protection and shine.

Equally important, make sure you have a competent installer and they agree that the only acceptible defect is no defects. Have them show you their work on other cars if possible. My car has to go back for little fishmouths on the passenger side mirror.

3. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

Thank you, Begreen, for your input. I'm a little encouraged to use that product. Great idea about asking to see installers' work, if they can do that. I'll try. And about getting an agreement in advance to no defects.

I'm curious about your "little fishmouths" on your mirror. Were those caused by something hitting it while driving, or have they been there since the film was installed? Also, I'm considering having the whole rear bumper covered (as well as the front), since VentureShield's website has that great sequence of pics showing that huge abrasion being peeled off.

Is there anyone else out there with any experience with VentureShield?

4. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The little fishmouths are from a poor install. The guy forgot to cover the mirrors and did a rush job after I pointed it out late in the day when getting the car. It was dark and I didn't notice until the next day. The fishmouths are where the stuff is not adhering to the mirror housing surface. He is replacing with new pieces when I bring the car into town next.