1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

clear bra installation is JUST A PIECE OF CAKE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maclion, Jun 25, 2008.

1. maclion

maclion Junior Member

Alway heard such things as " do not install by yourself, otherwise you will regret". Maybe it is true for installing bumper piece, but not for hood, fender and mirror.
    Before do that last weekend, I even prepared to fail. However it is only took me two and half hours to finish these (including 45 min to clean my car, it is so dirty and lots of tar, bug). it is not 100% perfect (there are only one bubble because of bug residue), but I am very very satisfied with my job.

Just want let some DIYer to know, you can definitely handle these.

2. charlotte

charlotte New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What brand did you install?

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it have the hook at the front or the back?:rofl:
    A clear bra, I might enjoy looking into that.:eyebrows:

4. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, tell more, which brand, where did you get it from??

5. echase

echase New Member

Tell us more! I'm taking delivery next week, and would love to install this while it's still "dealer-clean".

Any chance of photos?

6. maclion

maclion Junior Member

These kit including: hood, fender, mirror and door edge guard, also installation kit. total is $89.
    They have 3M Scotchagard and Invisi-Mask (8mils thick), same price. I choose Invisi_Mask, which come with lifetime guarantee and easier to install (they said).

I attach some pics. Those marks are not bubble, but water mark. The only bubble is at right corner of hood, it is so tiny that I can not get it by my cellphone.

Attached Files:

7. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just don't snap it!:drum:

8. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    it looks good,$89. is a good deal. I wish they had a front bumper one as well though.

9. maclion

maclion Junior Member

My cents:
    1. Fender (zero difficulty)
    it is easiest. so you may want to do this first and let you familiar with those kits.

2. Hood: (1.5-2 difficulty). two persons are recommended
    a. start from center of hood (A)
    b. then go to (B.)-alignment points
    c. do most of other area of hood (C)
    d. at last, (D). they may lifting back up, do not worry, use your thumb and hold for seconds.

3. Mirror: not that easy. (2-2.5 difficulty)
    first squeegee alone the red line, and stretching to the corner. to avoid any edges, use your palm to hold for over 10 sec.

Attached Files:

10. maclion

maclion Junior Member

11. charlotte

charlotte New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has anyone had this on a vehicle for a few years? What does the vechicle look like after it's been on awhile and then has been removed? Is there rock chips ? Is it easy to clean off the bugs while it is on ?

12. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had it installed on my 2006 Silver Prius in Sept 2006.
    Was examining my hood and side doors.
    - No scratches
    - No dings
    - No missing paint

Even above the bra. I'm quite delighted at how well it has stood up, and the silver finish is the same throughout. IOW, dark colored rock deflectors, hide paint from the sun, after a few years, the finish is different below it.

So, two winters, two road trips, about 18,000 miles. It's a little peeled around the Toyota logo.

I had the fog lamps, headlights, hood, doors and side mirrors done. All that w/installation was about 300$.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Bugs & bird poop are much easier to remove from the film than from the paint.

14. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I will be fully detailing my car soon then making the decision about getting the bumper cover. I am worried most about it peeling over time.

15. priusforever

priusforever New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How does it hold up to pressure washing?

16. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

One should never need to know that.

17. BigDeal

BigDeal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I just had a clear bra installed on my car a week ago. They only did part way up the hood (like maclions photos),the back of the mirrors and the fenders behind the headlights. And it cost me $300. When I saw the finished result, I thought, "That couldn't have been too hard to install - most of the areas are relatively flat". But I'm not much into DIY stuff, so never thought about doing it myself. The biggest problem would be to have a good area to do the install. I don't think there'd be enough light in my garage to do a good job. And doing it outside you'd need a nice day with no wind so you wouldn't get fuzz or lint or whatever blowing onto the plastic. You don't often get days like that in ND. So I forked over the money.

Their install wasn't perfect. I've got a couple tiny bubbles on one mirror and a crooked edge on the other mirror, and one tiny spot on the hood. But you don't really notice it unless you're really examining it. Hopefully it will save me from a few dings down the road.

I wanted to have the bumper done too, but the guy said they don't do the bumpers because they are plastic, so they don't need it. I would think the paint could still get chipped off even if it's on plastic. Can anybody with an uncovered bumper tell me if they get chips on their bumpers? I might still get the bumper done. Will have to go to the one other place in ND that installs clear bras to get the bumper done if I decide to.

I don't think there is much business for clear bras in ND since there are only two places that I found that do the installs. Of course I never heard of such a thing myself until I found Priuschat and read about them here.