1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clear Coat Peeling from Wheels?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by tposs001, Nov 19, 2013.

1. tposs001

tposs001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Anyone else having this issue?

Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]

Been noticing that some of the clear is coming off the wheels when I was washing the car the other day. Not sure if previous owner had possibly applied some chemical or if this is normal for a 10yr+ old car.

Called a couple wheel re-finishers and they mentioned anywhere from 60-99 to fix each wheel.

Is there a DIY method?

Attached Files:

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, mine is totally gone or nearly gone. I have had to recondition 2 wheels and the other two are in desparate need of it as well.

The DIY method is very simple. Get some "outdoor" or automotive clearcoat, remove the wheel from the car, remove the centercap, lightly scuff (400 grit wetordry) the wheels and feather any rough edges, mask off the tire and spray the wheel with the clearcoat per the manufacturer's recommendations. I would do at least 2 coats if not 3.

3. tposs001

tposs001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    do you have any pictures of the wheels done? Want to attempt to do this. What brand clear coat did you use?

4. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I used Krylon's outdoor clearcoat but, really, you can use any. The brand doesn't matter just as long as its outdoor or automotive.

I don't have any pic but, if you really want one, I can take one tonight.​

5. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is a pic of one of the wheels I did. It is holding up well after about 2 years. 20140108_155956.jpg