1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

clear coat question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GasSaver1, Aug 1, 2009.

1. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was told that white and red are the only two prius colors that are not clear coated-

but then though searching I found that any color that lists "metallic" has a clear coat on it.

I picked up an official brochure for the 2010s today and the only two colors not to have "metallic" listed next to it is black and pearl.

Question 1:
    is the barcelona red metallic of the 2010 the same color that is on a 2008?

Question 2:
    is my 2008 barcelona red clear coated?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yes, same Barcelona Red and it is clear coated. There has been discussion of certain colors having and not having clear coats but I firmly believe all Prius', and other new cars as well, have clear coats on them.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Even the Super White paint on my 07 is clear coated. When they repainted the rear bumper they listed the material for the clear coat.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought Prius Team confirmed that the black paint was not clear coated. I'm not 100% sure. Maybe I'm misremembering things.

There's something about the black paint and clear coat here on PriusChat. But I'm not interested enough in the issue to search for it.