1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

clear plastic x-pel question/ help?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bob Allen, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well: I broke down and bought a set of the clear bra plastic stuff for my headlights. Any magic tricks out there for getting a flat piece of plastic to fit over a curved headlight lens? Second question: if you misalign the stuff, can you peel it off and start over, or does the glue really stick and you're stuck, so to speak? Is the hairdryer a must?
    Bob

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, if it's like the other clear protectant films, there's a special spray that you spray on the film and on your car after washing the car. Once the spray is on, you can lay the plastic down and align it, then squeegee the liquid out from underneath to make it stick firmly.

Once it's stuck, I believe you can take it off by warming the adhesive with a hairdrier, but I'm pretty sure removing it that way destroys the plastic film so probably best to get it right the first time.

Dave.

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob,
    The stuff is pretty forgiving, it does not bond immediately like a contact cement. It takes 24 hours above 60 degrees for it to cure and form a secure bond. While applying it, you will fid that you can slide it around for alignment. The flat surface of the material will conform to the curved surfaces as you squeege the material. The hair dryer helps when the temperature is below 60 degrees.

4. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

X-pel's website has detailed instructions on how to apply these things. Check there.