1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

clear tail lights and headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by slair, Jun 28, 2007.

1. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've been looking around for totally clear tail lights and/or headlights. I checked places like ebay and tried googling for anything about it and came up with nothing. Does anyone know where I can find something like this?
    Thanks

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Two smarty answers:

1) In the trash at the nearest vehicle inspection station.
    Without red reflectors on the back your car is illegal.

2) On the back of your Prius.
    The Prius rears are all white (except for the reflectors) until the lamps light anyway.

;-)

3. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1. Too bad for your smartass response Indiana dosent have vehicle inspections.
    2. The Prius tail lights arent all white. The top with the LED's are black and the red reflectors are at the bottom. The driving light plastic is red also.

Wth is package #9 on an '05?

Smarty response:
    Try looking at the prius tail lights before giving a response.

4. Conine

Conine New Member

hey slair how'd you clear your turn signals? is it just the bulb? i would also like to have clear headlights, i hate the amber!

5. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ya, i changed out the bulbs on both front and rear to clear bulbs. They're low voltage non-led so they look yellowish when lit, so the po po's dont mind them. They look a lot better, expecially on a black pri.

6. Conine

Conine New Member

thanks for the info! I'll look into that

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I guess you are too inexperienced on boards to know what a winking icon means, and instead go off angry and make yourself look like a dick. I even labelled my answers "smarty" but you didn't figure the humor out. At least we know how to deal with you now Spell it out and talk s-l-o-w-l-y.

Expect that if you are rear-ended at night you will be found at least partially liable since you defeated federally-required safety equipment and could therefore be presumed to have contributed to the accident. The other party's insurance company will probably inspect your car in such a case and make the argument. Those all-white lenses lack the DOT label for a reason.

And I look at them every time I get into my Prius. You, on the other hand, need to look more closely. There is no red on the running light when viewed directly from the rear. Toyota chromed the little square that hides the bare bulb, so it would look all white until you turn the lights on; red is only visible from the side. And the newer models do not have black top brake lights, they are chrome also.

8. Conine

Conine New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Jul 2 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]471745[/snapback]</div>

i think hes talking about the red reflectors on the bottom of the taillights :X. and it is perfectly legal to have clear ones so long as you have red bulbs.

9. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 for lighting equipment. The standard is very specific for tail/brake light lenses and front side marker light lenses. The standard requires red lenses (not red bulbs) for the tail/brake lights and red rear and side reflex reflectors and red side marker lights. A separate rear side marker light and reflex reflector may also be allowed for the rear lighting system to meet the standard. The front side marker lens lights can be either white or amber (yellow) and must also have an amber (yellow) reflex reflector incorporated into the lens or have a separate side marker light and reflex reflector to meet the standard.

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/taillamps_all_clear.htm

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Jun 28 2007, 06:17 AM) [snapback]469328[/snapback]</div>
    Can't you just remove your headlight/tailight compound unit and just remove (i.e. crack and remove) the reflector plastics?

And the clear ones, just get an 06+ taillight.

11. Conine

Conine New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Jul 2 2007, 05:28 PM) [snapback]471798[/snapback]</div>

Well idk how they do it up out in the governator state, but down here you can have whatever you want to be clear well.... clear so long as the bulbs are the color of the lense you are making or having clear.

12. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Last time I checked all 50 states were part of the United States, and the FMVSS regs apply to all 50. But you go ahead with whatever turns you on. :rolleyes:

13. Conine

Conine New Member

my red bulbs turn on as well as my blue ones too and that suits me just fine, never been pulled over from them or ticketed either , but i'll be the bigger man now and step aside from this keyboard war. go enjoy your 55+ mpg and ill do the same.

14. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Hmmm, for me this was a matter of posting factual information, not a test of my manhood. :rolleyes:

15. Conine

Conine New Member

im not testing my manhood, but gfy congrats that you can search google.

16. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Just try to shame me for being right. :D

Those clear lenses are illegal to put up for sale; even those with fake DOT labels are illegal. Since most states have routinely enacted legislation that grandfathers the federal vehicle requirements, you would then have a nonconforming car. Maybe you'll be lucky and not get pulled over just for this violation. Or more likely, if you get pulled over for something else, the cop will "make it worth his while" and include the equipment violation to make his citation stick.

I can tell you for sure that if I was in an accident and the other driver had illegally modified his car, I'd sure bring this up. And don't be surprised if your insurance company decides to deny your claim since you purposefully removed safety equipment and contributed to the accident.

But hey, it looks cool, so all that risk is worth it, right? Red reflectors are SO ugly! :rolleyes:

17. Conine

Conine New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Jul 3 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]472557[/snapback]</div>
    i never said you were wrong, i just said that down here ive never been pulled over for them or cited for them. albeit they may be illegal, no officer has ever said anything to me.

I've been pulled over for speeding, and believe me the cop has plenty of time to write up whatever he wants, and i've NEVER been written up for having clear taillights/turn signals

im glad you have a lot of time to inspect every inch of you car and the other persons car.

yes they ARE UGLY!!!