1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleared codes, dashboard lights now on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Eric Hess, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Eric Hess

Eric Hess New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all!

I had a check engine light come on yesterday, so went to go check out the codes today with an OBD scanner. After I plugged in the device, the ABS, VSC, ((!)) and brake lights all came on like they do when the car is started - however, this time they did not turn off.

The code came back as "P1121 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Error, Performance/Range" - cleared the code and then noticed that the ABS, VCS, ((!)) and parking brake lights were all still on after disconnecting the scanner. Car started and drove just fine and got back to the office. I am now sitting here trying to figure out what went wrong and cannot quite figure it out. Did the OBD scanner fry something? Anyone have similar experiences?

2005 Prius, 125k or so miles.. I purchased it used last year and got a 2/22 warranty with it, which I am still under. Does this sound like a warranty fixable issue?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm sure the OBDII reader didn't fry anything. If there is a problem that the ECU defines as impacting other systems, like VSC, then it will light those lights.

P1121 is the commonly seen Coolant Control Valve stuck. The accelerator pedal codes are P0120-P0123. Which is it?

Question: What happens if a Prius is started with the accelerator pedal partially depressed? Does the ECU expect, as a sanity check on start up, that the accelerator pedal is all the way up?