1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clearing windows and warming up in winter months.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LC598, Apr 1, 2011.

1. LC598

LC598 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are going to look at two cars tomorrow. A 2004 and 2005 Prius. This may be a silly question but in the winter months my partner starts his car and lets it warm up and gets the windows cleared of mist. How do you so this with a Prius if only the electric and not the petrol engine comes on on start up?

2. hadone

hadone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When it is cold outside the ICE engine will start after a few seconds, that really defeats the idea behind a Prius. :(

3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe you could put a small electric heater on a timer in your car and set it to come on a hr. before you leave? They used to sell these at one time! Hal

4. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    When you start a Prius and turn on the heat/windshield defogger the ICE (internal combustion engine) will run until it is warmed up, and then will run more often than when you're not calling for heat to keep the cabin warm. That's one reason Priuses get worse mileage in winter, the engine runs much more to generate cabin heat.

5. LC598

LC598 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for this. I'm still learning about all the features that they have. I guess will get easier if we actually take the plunge and buy one tomorrow.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Living in a temperate climate means you won't have to use the climate control as much or as strongly as other people.* So, you won't have as much of a hit as other people.

Combine that with living in a flat area and you are really onto a winner.

* We're expecting up to 14 inches of snow today. Over 6 have already fallen. No, your winter wasn't cold. ;)

7. LC598

LC598 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, our winter wasn't that cold :) We had a little snow and our main issue is ice. I couldn't cope with that much snow!!

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When defrosting any car initially, always put it on max defrost, outside air and only a slightly warmer temperature. Later after 5-10 minutes you can raise the temp and go to recirculated inside air, however if you adjust the heat too high and now have it on floor, then the windshield may begin rapidly accumulating moisture to the point of limited or NO windshield (windscreen) visibility. Seriously it can happen! Happened to me twice in Hawaii. So outside temperature is not the criteria, it is the local dew point on your windshield. That is the temperature differential between the outside and the inside of the windshield. In an emergency, open your windows immediately. The Prius also conforms to these rules. Cheers :cheer2:

Benwhite likes this.
  9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I use rubbing alcohol in a spritz bottle so I don't scrape. I've used 70% & 90%. Buy the highest concentration you can find.