1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clerk refuses to call police after robbery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Joel, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Joel

Joel New Member

Clerk refuses to call police after robbery

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

GARY, Ind. (AP) - A woman who was robbed at knifepoint while pumping gas into her church's van couldn't believe it when the gas station attendant refused to call police for help.
    "I ran, of course, to the nearest place," Gary resident Rosetta Heffner said, recounting Sunday's robbery.

Her request to call 911 was met with silence from the other side of the Citgo station's counter.

She tried again.

The clerk's response?

"Use your cell phone."

Heffner couldn't believe it.

"I thought it would be a safe haven, anything could have happened, and he told me to use my cell phone," Heffner told the Post-Tribune of Merrillville.

The gas station's manager said he was sorry about the robbery, but clerks at the station do not make emergency calls from the front counter, fearing retaliation for criminals.

"We have to be careful," he said. "If we call, then there are problems. They can hear. So we use the back phone. We are always helpful to the customer, but we have to protect ourselves."

Members of the Moving Spirit Church, which Heffner attends, regularly use the gas station to refill the church's vehicles.

At least they used to.

Member Latrell Peterson said the church will take its business elsewhere.

"We have eight vans and three buses rolling every day, but we don't go there now," Peterson said.

2. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Excellent....make your outrage known through your wallet. This kind of thing occurs when "rules" trump humanity. I feel bad for the clerk, especially since the manager defended the policy. He/she has to obey the boss to keep the job. Let's hope that if the lady was truly in peril, he would have said "screw this job, I'm calling for help".

As an aside, how many times do WE "not want to get involved"?

3. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is there any indication that this is a Citgo-wide policy and not just the policy of this one particular station?