1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Click when braking

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by stoshiro, Apr 21, 2012.

1. stoshiro

stoshiro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Just finished my second week in my PIP and I started to notice a clicking noise everytime I press the brake. Even if I'm stopped in my garge I still hear it. Not sure it was there from day 1 and I just didn't notice because I had the SAT cranked up or if it's recently started.

But either way, it's extremely annoying. I did see a few older posts in the non pip sections, but didn't seem to get a definitive answer.

Just thought I'd check to see if any other PIP owners have experienced this.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you hear when you back up and apply the brakes?

3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think I know what you're talking about. I notice it in stop and go traffic. It sounds like some kind of switch or solenoid, clicking on and off.

4. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Although I don't know this for sure, It must be normal...mine does the same thing, probably a solenoid or actuator like Tracksyde said.

5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I may be a little too trusting here.. But I had read previously the Prius makes lots of weird noises in general (the noises it makes 5 hours after driving are the weirdest to me). So when I noticed it, I figured it was normal. In fact, a few days ago, in traffic, I was thinking to myself, "wow, Toyota is so awesome.. that clicking noise sounds so mechanical, but I feel I can trust Toyota to engineer it to last a long time.. whatever it is.." :D

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my case it sounds more like a clunk and is more pronounced in reverse. In any case, the tech told me it was the brake actuator. Initially I thought is was the brake pads slipping in the calipers.

May not be what you all experiencing.

7. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    According to a buddy who owns 2 car repair shops...the Prius is the single most trouble free car on the planet, that's one of the reasons I bought one.

My wife's 02 Lexus IS300, purchased new in 02 has had zero problems and never been in the shop once, I change the oil/filter, keep the fluids fresh and have replaced brake pads once...the car is bulletproof, I expect the same from the Prius as well.