1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking and rattling from brand new car?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Monday, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Monday

Monday Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,
    Yesterday night I bought my first Prius--a brand new 2015 C2. All seemed perfectly fine till I was driving home from work this evening. I had the passenger window down and noticed a rhythmic clicking and clattering coming from that side anytime I drove past something to echo it back. This was going at about 25 mph in a residential area. It almost sounded like when you have some gravel stuck in the tire, except no gravel and it sounded more mechanical. It was very noticeable. No sound at all coming from the driver's side open window. I took it back out for a couple more drives to confirm that the sound was continuing.

When I drove it off the lot yesterday it had 40 miles on it--the dealer said someone had likely taken it home to show a family member, then brought it back. I truly don't remember hearing a sound like this when I test drove it, but the conditions were very different (other people in the car, window rolled up). I didn't notice this sound this morning, either.

The thing that is extra concerning to me is that on the way home tonight there was some roadwork where the pavement had been stripped from a section, then a large bump where the regular pavement resumed. I slowed down as much as traffic around me but still hit the bump much harder than I would have liked, especially for my brand new car. It was after that that I first noticed the rattling, a little ways down the road.

The car is making so many new-to-me sounds that I truly have no idea if this is just a normal sound or if I should be concerned. The tires look ok, I don't see anything obviously wrong when I look under the car.

Sorry for the novel, thank you for any advice you have to offer!

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well the most likely issue is a rock is in the tread, does the clicking slow down or speed up with the speed of the car? You really need to check the tire all the way around. If you still find nothing, take it to the dealer, and have them inspect it. It's really pretty hard for anyone to diagnose the car without being able to look at it, as this is not something that has been reported, as far as I know.

The Prius C is one of the most reliable cars on the road today.

As to noises, the car makes all types of noises from the moment you unlock the doors, to when you park it and lock the doors. The car goes through all stages of self inspections and these noises are normal. Hope this helps you feel a little better.

#2 orenji, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! perhaps something came loose when you hit that bump. have the dealer take a test drive to hear the sound, and look underneath. doesn't sound like anything to worry about. all the best!(y)

4. Monday

Monday Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your answers! I'll see if the sound persists while driving today and if so take it in. I've never been a car person before now, but I find myself really digging this little car!

orenji likes this.
  5. 11dandans

11dandans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    so I got my Prius c about 3 weeks ago- and I noticed a few noises that I was not used to. When I stop after having used the AC I get a gurgle from the gas motor. Also when I open the driver side door I get a buzz and sometimes a buzz upon braking. I spoke with the service guy at the dealer and he said there are a lot of checks that the car does and that is probably it. Do you get these noises?

6. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A

Your "gurgle" is most likely the refrigerant in the AC system boiling off, as the expansion valve is still feeding liquid refrigerant into the evaporator.

The "buzz" is the brake hydraulic unit. It has an electric motor that pressurizes the fluid in an accumulator. When the pressure goes below a certain point, the motor turns on and re-pressurizes it. As you use the brakes, the pressure drops, and it will run from time to time to re-pressurize. When the car sits, the pressure will bleed down, and after the brake module has gone to sleep it will no longer pressurize. As soon as the drivers door is opened, it wakes up, sees the low pressure, and turns on.

When you're sitting in park, pump the brakes a few times, and you'll hear it run.

Cheers.

11dandans and orenji like this.
  7. 11dandans

11dandans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    WOW!! you must be a Prius mechanic or engineer- that is one very impressive answer. THANKS MUCH!!

orenji likes this.
  8. Monday

Monday Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the discussions and thoughts, all! I do hear a lot of random noises from this car, most of which I assume to be normal. I did just develop a problem with it when it brakes, though. I figured that this was a different enough topic that I went ahead and created a new thread.

Thanks again for your troubleshooting!

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Take a good look at the tire tread, also: have you looked at the underside, checked with a light, that something like a wire or flashing scrap isn't hung up in there?

10. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Both, actually... ;-)

orenji likes this.