1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

clicking/grunting noise after cold start, intermittent

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by stedman98, Nov 19, 2009.

1. stedman98

stedman98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Occasionally when I start up Prius in the morning or after work, while the brake i depressed, I am getting a clicking/grunting sound (sounds like a series of short, fast grunts, actually) from under the dash on the passenger's side. It also happens when I have been driving awhile, when stopped at a traffic light, again with the brake depressed. It will go weeks with no noise, then do it several times in a day. HELP! Dealer is clueless because we can't replicate it. I have had the Prius over a year, and it is not one of the usual pump noises that I am accustomed to. I am going on a trip soon, and would like to have this resolved. I purchases Prius in Mississippi, but recently moved to Northern Virginia. Any ideas, you gurus out there?
    Thanks in advance!

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine does that as well. It sounds a little more like a faint honking noise, and you also only hear it while sitting at a stop light. Mine has been doing it now for over 2 years now (40,000 miles). It seems to be most frequent at about 30 - 40 degrees farenheit. If it is above 60 degrees it is rare that it happens. I've grown used to it. When I hit 100,000 miles I'll have the brake lines flushed and bled.