1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking noise l/f axel during regenerative braking/charging-Prius v (lowercase v for the wagon)

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sinoman83, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Sinoman83

Sinoman83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Like the title. Audible at speeds of 20 mph to 5mph and clicking speeds vary to speeds. Thought it was brake pads so i checked all and everything seems to be normal. Today i put the car to B on shifter to slow down and without using the brakes the clicking could be heard. So im 100% sure its not my brakes. Anyone else have this problem. My v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) is a 2012 model five and 54,000 miles. Planning on taking it in soon. Hopefully under warranty or something.

Update: So dealership was stumped as to the noise. They cant find/see anything wrong. Anyone have any ideas what it may be? I will post a video of what im hearing later if that helps.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it couldn't hurt.:)

3. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's a known issue with regular Prius. However, it's not simply just Regen braking with gen 3 Prius. To get clicking to sound, it has to Regen brake and turn. Regen braking in straight line won't produce the click. I think the dealer is trained to not hear the click or just play dumb. The clicking is obvious.

4. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I get the clicking noise while coming to a stop and In a straight line.

5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you talking about the same faint clicking I hear in the 4-7mph range when gently accelerating, decelerating, or maintaining steady speed, whether going straight or turning? My '81 Mazda made a similar sound in similar circumstances..

6. Ragingfit

Ragingfit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    See
    Misfire, shaking at cruising speed or low RPM, switching between ICE and Electric

7. Ragingfit

Ragingfit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Unplug the wires to the EGR. Your click will go away.

8. Sinoman83

Sinoman83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So after 10k miles with this issue 2 dealership misdiagnosis (its the break pads) its finally done... the problem was drum roll please....... the axel, driver front. Thanks to Luscious Garge in San Francisco they diagnosed it on the first visit (90$) and fixed it the following week (280$). I was just gonna deal with it until i got rid of the car but needed service performed and i thought Id give these guys a try rather then dealer. I told them its not a big deal but can you tell me whats going on with this click. 1 test drive later and they got it solved.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Really?? They replaced the axle for only 370? That's than less half of what my dealer would have charged.