1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

clicking noise while in motion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SDiego, Nov 27, 2005.

1. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I noticed on my 05 prius, when I was pulling in my garage, the engine was off, so it was really quite, I hear a click click noise. reminds me of a bad cv joint noise, but more faint. All the boots look fine. makes the same kinda noise when the wheels are turned or straight. Maybe its all normal, as I just never noticed it before. I even put the car in neutral, so there is no load, and still hear the vague click sound. My friend of mine said he noticed that kinda sound when I pulled the car in 3 months ago. I didn't notice it and just ignored him. Maybe its all normal.
    Just was curious if anyone else notices that on theres? On the street, I don't hear it at all. only in the garage where the walls reflect the sound.

thanks for any input. :unsure:

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I have heard this twice, both times on the road while turning, and the clicking noise was quite loud. I have been unable to reproduce the sound at will, so I have not taken the car to the dealer.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When mine was new I heard a faint clattering noise. I was very upset. A new Prius should not clatter. Then I found the source of the noise: I had put the garage-door opener in the cup holder.

I used to put studded tires on my previous car. They made a clicking noise.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Prius makes some unique noises. Somewhere in here is a complete explination of what the noises are. I think they cycle fluids and other things. When you think about it, the Prius has to take special measures that other cars do not because other cars know intuitively when they are off and when they are on. The Prius engine doesn't know how long it's going to be on or off.

That's pretty darned unmechanical and unscientific but I think it's sort of close to an explination. Hopefully, DanMan will chime in. In the meantime, hit the search function and look up noises. I know they're in here somewhere.

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

- Brake system pressurizing? (you usually let up after turning into driveway, causing repressurization)
    - Rock in tire tread (I've heard this and though tit was something else)
    - CV joints as you already noted
    - Q: does the steering assist make that noise as it works?

6. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

I have head what I think is a noise like that. I hear it most at drive-throughs when the window is down and I'm bearly moving. My suspision is a rock in the tread.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Brake system solenoids? Or are you hearing the coolant to thermos pump?

8. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, it's not the pumps. It's a clicking noise. tonight the sounds seemed softer, so I really think it's normal. on the street I can't hear a thing. I am not going to worry about it.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Just a thought you could pull the trim rings and see if it's gone. If not put them back on.