1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking or gurgling noise in morning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Mark Anderson, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello. I have noticed some mornings I hear a clicking or gurgling oise in my 2008 Toyota Prius. It eventually stops as the day goes on. Any idea what it is?

Thanks!

2. Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Please note it appears to be coming from below the dash. What’s strange is when I open the hood, I don’t hear it. I can only hear it from my drivers seat. Sometimes I hear a knocking noise so I’m guessing they are related. It started occurring as the weather got cooler so maybe it’s due to the extra moisture in the air?

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Air in cooling system? Even if he overflow tank behind radiator is full the system itself might not. Do not confuse it with the second coolant loop in a Prius that has its reservoir next to inverter. Wait until your engine is really cold (at least overnight) remove the plastic panel above the radiator and remove the radiator cap. Radiator should be full of coolant.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank You for taking a look at my question. I just checked and the radiator is full of coolant. Any other suggestions?

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If it’s not air in the cooling system it could be some flap in air conditioning moving. Test every mode for blow direction and recirculation mode (wait enough time between so that it actually goes into that mode). And go from full hot to full cold and back (again wait enough time in between). If you can get it to make that noise then you know the problem.

SFO likes this.
  6. Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I actually heard it tonight without the air condition on. It seems to sometimes replace the engine knocking noise that used to occur. I have noticed it more when it's cooler outside. What's really strange is that when I lift up my hood while the car is still running I can't hear it outside to tell where it's coming from. I can only hear it from the front seat of my car.

7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2009 Gen II makes the occasional groaning noise from the area behind the dash, particularly when I've changed the settings of the A/C (air direction, fresh/recirculate, face/feet, etc. etc) I put it down to the system telling me that all is OK, and just get used to it! (…fer Christ's sake! :confused: :rolleyes:) …either that, or it's about to up an' die! :eek::eek::(

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the radiator being full doesn't mean there isn't air in the system. can you post a recording of the sound?

how long have you had the car?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here you go....right now it's more of a clicking noise but sometimes I hear a gurgle.

THANKS!!!!

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    oh and I have had the car for 10 years

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure, but it may be a stuck vent door in the hvac.

12. Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for taking a listen. If it keeps up I'll take it in to be looked at and respond with the results.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.