1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking sound..?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TalaRider, Oct 18, 2018.

1. TalaRider

TalaRider New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone. I have a 2008 prius. It just started making a weird clicking noise. It only happens when it's in the gas engine mode. The clicking speeds up when I'm accelerating, and stops when it switches to hybrid. It's really high mileage, at almost 260k.. I seriously cannot afford a new car right now so needless to say I'm quite concerned. Does anyone have any idea what this is? Any slight glimmer of hope for me? Thanks.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Check the engine oil level?

Loose water pump belt?

3. TalaRider

TalaRider New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just put oil in, so I'm thinking it's probably not that, would the water pump belt stop when it switches to hybrid?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably out of engine oil. Maybe engine water pump is blown.

You need to listen to the engine or have a mechanic listen to the engine while it’s running. To make the engine run non stop it must be put in inspection mode.

Go on you tube and search. Prius inspection
    It will show you how to put the car into that mode.

5. TalaRider

TalaRider New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took a video of it last night with the hood open, and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the gas engine (I think?? The black one in the left hand side when you're looking at it with the hood open). It's, of course, significantly louder with the hood open. Hubs just put oil in it yesterday but I didn't check myself to see where the level is at. I don't recall seeing him check the dipatixd either so I guess I'm reconsidering it could just be the oil. I hope so at least. Can't exactly afford a mechanic bill, let alone a new car.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1) Ask hub if he checked oil level before adding oil?
    2) How much oil was added?
    3) The noise occured before adding oil or after adding oil?
    4) If noise still exists after adding oil, it could be sounds of engine damage from previous and prolonged insufficient oil levels?

5) Gas engine runs engine water pump via belt. Engine “spins,” belt moves, spinning engine water pump. Engine stops, belt stops.

7. TalaRider

TalaRider New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He did not. The dipstick was stuck so he hasn't checked the oil in a long time. His excuse was that there's a warning light when it's low.. he added 1 qt. I eventually got it out with my BIL's help, and the oil that registered is very very dark, and hardly on the stick anyways. The noise started after he added the oil. We drove a few blicjs, he took his car to head home, and I took the Prius back to my in-laws. On the way back is when I heard the clicking. I didn't hear it when we stopped by his car and parted ways.

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

When the 'warning light' comes on, damage is already being done and has been for some time. Not what you want to hear.

When was the oil last changed? (if the oil looks that dark, then it would be best to change the oil and filter ASAP or now).

If you're still driving it around then you will need to add some more oil, as one quart generally isn't enough once the 'warning light' comes on. Be sure to check the dipstick for a measured liquid level, you want the oil level to be between the high and low lines, but more towards the high side.

Raytheeagle and Starship16 like this.
  9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am not aware of any current vehicles that have a low oil level light. They all have a low/NO oil pressure light that gets triggered b/c the oil pump is sucking air (due to insufficinet oil level) and/or a oil leak that has resulted in significant loss of oil. The problem with depending on this light to remind you to check/top-off the oil is engine damage is occurring.

The oil level needs to be at the top dimple mark. If I remember correctly, some one said 1.5quarts is the volume between the bottom dimple (Dangerously LOW) and top dimple (FULL). If the current oill level is still below the bottom dimple mark, you are still too LOW. Get the oil level to the top dimple mark. AVOID FILLING ABOVE THE TOP DIMPLE MARK.

I strongly speculate the noise you are hearing is due to engine damage. Sorry. You need to get into the habit of checking the engine oil level with regularity, had you been doing so, you would not be in this position.

Starship16 likes this.
  10. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is she the original owner of the car? If not, how many miles on it when she got it? 10 yrs old and 260k...

New ($2500!) hybrid battery soon?

And somebody needs to kick hubby's butt. A car will not run on gas alone. Sorry to be blunt, but both of you need to be more responsible and maintain your vehicles. At the very least, check the oil level often, check the tire condition & pressure often, and get regular oil changes every 5000 miles. (My sister burned up her car the exact same way. Never checked the oil)

That's not clicking... that's "knocking."

#10 Starship16, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Worse case scenario, it is the engine. A used engine replacement is probably your best bet ($500+). Installation likely $2K.
    $2500 is cheaper than a NEW car or young used car. BUT, the HV Battery will go out some time in the future, as it is 10years old now. Something to factor in.

Try contacting member Strawbrad, as he does HV Battery rebuilds, and will likely know of some good Prius competent mechanics near you, to see/plan for the possible engine failure.

Maybe member Ericbecky knows of a competent Prius mechanics near you too, even though he is in Madison, WI.

Good luck. Let us know what the outcome is, and chalk this up as an expensive life lesson, that you will likely not repeat again.

12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are good locations in Madison and Minneapolis/St Paul.

13. TalaRider

TalaRider New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I'm pretty furious. When I was the main driver, I kept the maintenance up completely on time, the car was constantly clean. The Prius is my dream car, it's my baby. But then we had human babies and I became a stay at home mom, so he drives it almost 100 miles a day, to an from work. We never had a single issue, except my bil over tightening the tires which cracked a part on the axel.. he's a mechanic at tires plus so I thought I could trust him to change the tires, and the only other issue is the 12v battery was not in good condition. We bought it with that problem though. That's literally the only issues we've had with the car up until he started driving it the most.

I haven't been driving it, I took my BIL's second car to the store yesterday and bought a bunch of stuff in hopes it would work, did a motor flush, complete oil change, and filled it with good quality oil and some stabilizer. It's running much, much better now. I had a chat with hubby and he said he was trying to save money (how well is that turning out now ) and bought the Mobil 1 filter that you're supposed to be able to use for like.. 4 changes? We were on change #3! I understand that we're pretty dang low income, with only one source of income, 2 children, and a mortgage and all that jazz, but we need a car and that's priority, so I'm no longer having him do the regular maintenance, I will be taking it over again since it was doing exceptionally well with me.

Since it's still not totally better, I'm bringing it to the shop in about an hour. My bil and every other mechanically inclined friend I have, all agree, it's lifters. There's damage from the lack of oil/extremely dirty oil, so that's going to cost hubby a pretty penny, but yes, it's going to be a good life lesson for him, and it's a good lesson for me, to know now that I have to be the one in charge of car maintenance. My plates already overflowing so something else will be losing priority, but I'll figure that out myself.

We are not the original owners. We got it used with about 60k miles for 15k. The dealership misquoted the price (by almost 10k!! ) And we snagged it up imediately. it was an old couple who took exceptionally good care of it. It looked totally brand new.

I'm about to bring it into the shop I will update you all with what's wrong when I hear back. Thank you all for the helpful insight.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In a Prius if the check engine light Illuminates from lack of oil the engine usually incurs some damage and waiting for Some non existent light to come on to tell you your out of oil is pretty stupid and going to be very expensive.

The noise your probably hearing is a failed bearing in the motor. Very very common on this site from people who ran the engine dry.

C Wagner and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  16. TalaRider

TalaRider New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so final update. Hubby definitely did some engine damage with the whole oil/light fiasco. No way to repair, we would have to replace. With the age and the whole thing with the hybrid batteries usually only lasting 10-12 years, we decided repairs are not reasonable right now as we need a reliable car since hubby drives 100miles a day, to and from work, and I need the car 3x's a week to take my children to school, doctors appointments and such. We worked it out with MIL, and she will be helping us financially, so we ended up financing a used car. It's nothing like my Prius and I'm going to miss my baby so much while it's out of commission. We're still discussing if we cut our losses and sell it to a scrapper, or fix it, and wait for the battery to die, and then fix that too.. thank you all for your help. Hubby now realizes how grave of an error he made. He had no idea the newer cars don't have an oil change light, that the light they have is an "out of oil" light. I take partial blame because I also did not know this, and I feel like I should have because after all.. the Prius is my dream car. Thank you all, again.

edthefox5 and SFO like this.
  17. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unfortunately, we learn best from our mistakes.

Moving forward, check engine oil with regularity (every gas fill-up, weekly, bi-weekly etc; more frequent is better), even on a brand new car. This habit will allow you to notice consumption rate and possibly catch a problem early. Also, don't forget about all the tires (even the spare); properly maintained PSI will extend the life and optimize MPG; since you live in a 4 season area, you will have to adjust the PSI at least 4 times a year.

I would avoid trying to stretch dollars by using a "long life" oil filter, and changing this out every other 5K oil change. If the Prius is using conventional motor oil 6months/5K miles is the oil and oil filter change interval. If you run genuine synthetic motor oil, you can adopt 12months/10K miles change interval; you can always change early and more frequent, but don't super extend it. I even recall reading Patrick Wong stating he runs synthetic, but changes at 7K or 7.5K miles.

A genuine OEM oil filter from Camelback Toyota is only $3.95/ea. The Mobil1 Extended Performance Oil Filter from Amazon is $14.97.
    Hubby had a temporary psychotic episode, that prevented him from seeing what he was doing was still bad: financially and logically.
    You may want to consider ordering genuine OEM parts online from reputable sources. Many dealers seem to be selling online now a days. I like Camelback b/c of free ground shipping (most items) when a minimum purchase amount is met, and no sales tax. You could lump your future maintenance items into one purchase to hit the minimum. Whatever car you get, try searching: "genuine oem 'toytoa/honda/ford/etc' part." You will have to click the links on page 1/2/3, to see which ones are genuine dealers.

Read the owners manual for you next car.
    On the Gen2 Prius, at far right is a yellow-ish REMINDER light: MAINT REQD (Maintenance Required): Oil & filter change & tire rotation. This light turns on as you approach 5K miles, and remains on after 5K miles. You just have to reset the Maintenance light when the oil change/tire rotation is performed, to be reminded for the next 5K mile interval.

upload_2018-10-20_22-34-21.png

upload_2018-10-20_22-32-21.png

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We see this all the time on this site especially if dealer service dealer oil changes.

That is a disaster for a busy car owner as the condition of the car and all its maintenance is then out of mind as it’s now being managed by a greater power the dealer. There on it nothing bad can happen it’s all set good to go.
    Nothing could be further from the truth. You get a minimum wage guy injecting oil into your engine with a notoriously inaccurate pneumatic gun fed by vats of oil. And based on what I see over various car forums always over filled because more is better. They don’t check or care how much oil they shoot in except it’s a lot.

Don’t believe me check your oil after going to the dealer.

These oil change dudes are not mechanics the Mechanics don’t do oil changes at a dealer ship those are the $185 An hour guys.
    No one is looking at anything else on your car nothing else is checked,
    They do not check your oil before changing it so they can discover hey you rolled in here 2 quarts low and then interrupt your donuts and popcorn and movie in the lobby to tell you btw did you know your car eats a lot of oil.

Check your oil and everything else under the hood every Saturday before starting your car. Keep the oil at the full line top it off. Wait a while after topping it off to check its level. Remember that exact level next Saturday to find out if your car is eating oil which is very common on a Toyota. If eating oil move up to a thicker viscosity. My 14 year old G2 uses 40 weight oil runs very happy and has for years on it. It stopped its minor oil eating. Don’t run 20 weight oil to thin to hot now.
    Check the rad coolant level and in a Prius the inverter coolant level. Same deal if low top off and note.

This simple bullet proof task will save you thousands of dollars and prevent the complete horror show of a blown motor. Especially now where hard to find everything and parts getting low. Takes 30 seconds to check your oil.

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To whom are you replying? The OP was last seen on here 2y 45w ago.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @edthefox5 you made me read through this whole thread, lol. Interesting read though.

Regarding “pneumatic vat oil dispenser”: I’ve done a tour of our local Toyota dealership: they use bulk oil, dispense it with a VERY accurate machine, and pre-fill pitcher-sized graduates for confirmation of volume, not straight into the engines.

And that oil is the same as bottled man, all I’ve used on our 2010 for about the last 7 years, after switching from bottled Toyota liters. Like the dealership, I use a graduated pitcher to confirm measure, never clean it out (just use, then bag till next use) and after 7 years of bi-yearly changes on ours, and almost as many changes to a couple of other family vehicles, the residual oil at the bottom is clean.

Ditto for the large plastic gas can I hold the bulk oil in.