1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking while backing when brakes applied

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eeek, Dec 21, 2015.

1. eeek

eeek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2015 gen 3 trim 4 loudly clicks when I am backing and apply brakes. Seems to come from under the car. Anyone know if this is a normal, expected sound? Thank!

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is not normal. Go see the man.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The rear caliper/piston has an integrated parking brake mechanism; methinks something's messing up with it. If you can, get a look at the inside pads: they have a pin on the back that locks the caliper piston, prevents it from rotating. If it looks chewed up it's not working properly. Also check conditions of the pads and disc: are they wearing uniformily, no scoring on disc? Or?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it's just one click or thunk it's normal. Both of my cars do it when reversing, then when brakes applied for the first time.

5. eeek

eeek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I made an appointment for later today. Then, of course, it stopped last. I decided I better capture the sound while I could- maybe it only does it when cold. Attached is what it sounds like. It's much louder than what it sounds like here.

To add- I had my back up beep changed to one beep. You can hear the beep, followed by the click and instantly the engine kicks in. Then there are two more clicks.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a problem for me, playing the video:

Capture.JPG

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since my Prius has been brand new, I have complained about brake pad and/or caliper rattle. While my brakes don't click when braking in reverse, there is a consistent and annoying snap and popping sound when driving over Botts dots or any sharp irregularity in the road. It is so loud that you can hear it resonating off buildings as you pass by. Toyota is well aware of the problem and has published a TSB regarding this condition. The latest publication consists of a suggestion that the caliper pins and brake pad ears be lubricated with a special grease. I can tell you that this is an exercise in futility. After many visits to different dealers in the area they have failed to eliminate the problem and Toyota has shunned it off as a normal condition. Basically, the problem has been engineered into the braking system with excessive clearances in the brake pads and calipers.