1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Climate Control is wierd

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by magruder, Mar 10, 2009.

1. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Should I just use the steering wheels controls for climate control? The "let's get mpg up as high as possible" voice in my head makes me cringe to have A/C on, unless it really is hot or for dehumidification (did I make up that word?). However, perhaps it works best to turn on the "Auto A/C" and just adjust the temperature on the steering wheel. I would adjust the temperature as low as is tolerable in the winter and as high as is tolerable in the summer.

I can't seem to convince myself this is the best course of action though. I spend more time fiddling with the silly climate control screen. Any recommendations?

Regards,
    Dave

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I learned on the anti-Prius (2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE AWD) it's not worth the effort arguing with the auto system. I just turn on the "A/C Auto" and set the temp to 22C and leave it alone.

Now you -could- turn it off when you come to a stop until the engine coolant is warm. That way the engine will shut down whereas if you just leave it on the engine will run until the coolant gets to about 63C if it's calling for heat. But that's about the only "messing" I do with it. Pearl is probably smarter than me.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I set the fan on the screen to ventilate the car on mild days, otherwise I want to be comfortable. $25k for a car, I'm using the climate control!

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Use Auto A/C unless you want to drive with open windows. The automatic system does a good job. If you are a real mileage nut turn off the climate control and tough it out. The only caveat is that the HV battery needs to be cooled, so you don't want it too hot in the cabin.

Tom

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto all that. It's easiest to leave it in AUTO and adjust only the temp as needed.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I turn the Cooling Compressor switch off between outdoor temps of 35 F and 85 F, and on below 35 F to help with dehumification. I have add-on instrumentation which gives me coolant and engine temps. When I see the engine coolant temp get up high (88 to 90 C), I turn up the A/C setpoint temp, then when it gets low (82 to 85 C), I turn the A/C setpoint down. Between 35 and 85 F, this will cause the cooling compressor to run - which I do not want. With the temps below 35, it just ventilates, and then runs the compressor for dehumdification - which is a real low level.

To turn on the A/C I use the steering wheel front defrost switch, hit it once and defrost comes on, a second time and it goes into A/C. If I can't get the setpoint low enough to keep the engine coolant above 82, I have to turn off the A/C using the climate control button on the MFD. With warmer temps, its just been up and down on the setpoint temps, and a little window cracking once the cabin gets up above 75 F. Result - 61.7 mpg at 200 miles into this tank.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "Set it and forget it"

Having said that:
    - I do what you said and have it as low as it will go (65) in the winter and as high as it will go (85) in the summer.
    - If I feel that it's forcing the engine to run more than I want, I'll turn off the A/C at stoplights.
    - I crack the windows about an inch on mild days.