1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Climate control sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by booke02, Jun 15, 2016.

1. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get the impression that my a/c is trying to freeze me. I have my temperature control set to 24'C (which is about 75'F) but I get the impression that the climate control is more sensitive to the outside temperature than the temperature inside the cabin.

Does anyone know where the temperature sensor is located for the climate control?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't but it's the same in my gen 3. i have to set it for a much different temperature than i am usually comfortable with.
    perhaps it's difficult to find a good location for the señor inside a car?

booke02 likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right behind the steering wheel, unless the señora is driving. :)

Seriously, I'm not sure what the equivalent in Israel is of the US techinfo.toyota.com web site, but there you'll find a book called the New Car Features Manual for your year of Prius.

By flipping to the climate control section, you can learn as much as you like about what sensors (plural!) are involved, and where in the car they are found, and a partial description of the neural network (yay overengineering!) implemented in the HVAC controller to synthesize all of those values along with your control settings and decide what to do to you. :)

Veterans of any machine learning course will probably remember that, among the various approaches to ML, neural nets are known for how sort of opaque they are to peer into if you are trying to figure out exactly why they did something the way they did....

-Chap

booke02 likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ballistic duplicate

bisco likes this.
  5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The temp displayed vs the temp output can be adjusted (by the dealer - like the rear beep). I have to adjust the temp sometimes as the A/C can only do so much considering also whether the vents are directed at my face/body (causing me sinusitis... :D) or not.
    I usually set the temperature lower in winter (I am well covered in any case), e.g. 19C and a bit higher in milder temps e.g. 22C, and maybe go a bit further up when really hot outside, i.e. 30C outside, 24C in the car. But I have to change and adjust every now and then.
    I hope Gen4 is more advanced and gets it right :D