1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Climate Control System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bflat58, Nov 2, 2004.

1. bflat58

bflat58 New Member

I purchased my 04 in May, so until recently have used just the Air conditioner. Now that its turning cold, I've been having some trouble figuring out how to set the climate controls for heating & defrosting. When I try to set a temperature and put it in Auto mode it wants to default to outside air, with the AC button selected. Is this the best setting for heating the car to the selected temperature? If I override, by selecting air recirculation and the footwell heat icon, then it gets way to hot. So, my question is if I select a temp and hit auto is that the best setting, despite the counter-intuitive display status?

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If I select Auto, it always sets footwell. The A/C is automatic so the fact that the yellow bar is under it doesn't mean it is actually running. Generally speaking, you want outside air (except this morning when I was behind a VERY STINKY diesel city bus. I nearly :pukeright: ). Using inside only air will build up humidity and cause window fogging.

If you need defrost, use the buttons on the steering wheel. They will override the main screen settings until you turn it off.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you mentioned it gets too hot.. try setting your temp. it all revolves around that. on a cold day i set mine between 70 and 74.. if it's really could out you may want to turn yours up. my normal AC range.. well.. when it's on is between 70 and 80 F

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, just hit auto AC and set the temp where you'd like it and forget it. That is the easiest way, if you find it's a little too hot or a little too cold just adjust the temp up or down a couple of degrees.

That ISN'T what I do, my method is more complicated and involves tolerating cooler temps, but that's just for my insane geeky effort to eek every possible mile out of each drop of gas.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Admission at last; admission at last! Praise the Lord, admission at last! :-D

Seriously, about the defaulting to the outside air, is that in order to get the heated air off the engine and engine liquids (which are always maintained at a very warm temerapture)? And if you change it from drawing outside air to recycling insideair, would that defeat the car's attempt to draw in warmer air? I haven't really studied the inner workings of the car's HVAC, but if you know, please shed some light.

Additionally, a recent post revealed the Prius' intelligent heating system that waits until the supply air is warm before cranking up the fan. This is apperantly pretty standard in all/most Toyotas, but completely new to those us new owners.

6. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe.. the more i drive my Prius, i start to find myself freezing or burning up because i want to conserve fuel. Most of the time i don't turn my AC on anymore. If i do it's usualy in those temp ranges. My hands get cold easy which is bad for driving. Gloves don't help, they make it worse.

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mittens!. They even make mittens where the finger part can be folded back so you can use your fingers for those more delicate tasks without having to take them all the way off.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HAT, you need a good warm hat. Gloves will prevent immediate loss of heat, but a hat will provide sustained systemic warmth.

It's an old outdoorsman's saying; "If your feet are cold, put on a hat."

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is a common feature of automatic climate control systems from just about all the car makers.

10. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mittens and a hat.. thanks guys :)