1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Climate control temperature setting (not A/C) and efficiency

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by buster71, Aug 6, 2013.

1. buster71

buster71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When NOT using A/C, does adjusting the temperature up or down effect efficiency at all? Take for example, if the outside air temp is 75 degrees, is it be optimal to set the temp setting to 75 degrees and ventilate with outside air? (in this case, I assume the system doesn't really have to do anything except run the fan) If you set the temperature to far below the outside air temp, would you see an efficiency hit?

I did try to RTFM, but it didn't really address this.

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you're trying to cool the cabin, any efficiency hit would be pretty insignificant. The fan does take maybe a couple hundred watts at the highest speed, so if adjusting the temperature reduces the fan speed to, say, 3 pips or less, that might save you a tiny bit of fuel; but it would be unnoticeable in any conditions other than a thoroughly-controlled laboratory experiment.

A/C, on the other hand, can use thousands of watts; I'm not sure what the peak possible power consumption is, but probably on the order of 20x more than the fan alone.

And heating is probably about the same as the fan alone, with the caveat that if the engine isn't producing enough heat from normal use, it will need to run more often to supply you with heat, thus hurting efficiency.

2k1Toaster likes this.
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    macman hit it on the head. Without the AC, your efficiency drop will be if you request heat because the engine will run more often than normal to give you heat.

4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had to spend some time idling in parking lots today, so I played around with the AC. The air temp was in the low 90'sF. The max amperage I got (with max fan and LO setting) was 5 amps. That is about 1 KW. I do not think the fan was drawing more than 1/2 amp (100 watts). That is about what I would guess- 3000 btu's or so would be reasonable for a small car. I know it costs a bit of money, but I am too old to not have my creature comforts. I use LO all the time.

kgall and bwilson4web like this.
  5. buster71

buster71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info.

A/C is important for me (I HATE heat...or even being slightly warm!), but I have no qualms about running it a lot in the Prius since the fuel economy gives me that luxury!

6. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you have any reference for this? When I run the AC in park for long periods it makes very little difference in the SOC or EV miles in my PiP.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when not looking for a/c or heat, set your temp to low. otherwise, you risk the ice coming on if outside temp fluctuates. there is no need to try to set it higher than low, it doesn't do anything unless you want heat or are using auto.

8. macman408

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I have a ScanGauge, which can show both total power draw of the car, and even power draw of just the A/C compressor. So I ran out to my car just now to take a look.
    At "LO", a quick test showed 1500 watts for the compressor (plus ~250 W for the blower, though it's harder to tell about the blower since the gauge can only measure in increments of ~110 Watts, shared with the rest of the systems in the car; the A/C compressor measurement is in increments of 50W). In ECO mode, it dropped to 1350 W.

It may be higher in other conditions, I'm not sure - after peaking at 1500W, it dropped back down a little bit (I only ran it for 15 seconds or so anyway), possibly because the interior and exterior air was quite cool, and there's no sun to heat anything up.

If you're in park for long periods, and the car is already at a comfortable temperature (and especially if you found a shady spot), then the power consumption can be pretty low; maybe 300 watts or so. That's about equal to the consumption of all the other electronics in the car when idle. And with around 3 kWh of total battery capacity, a power draw of 600W (half A/C, half the rest of the car) would be able to run for 5 hours on one charge.

kgall likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As a suggestion:
    • set the blower as high as practical, blowing at face and arms
    • increase temperature setting, now possible with higher blower setting
    • internal recirculation
    This reduces the compressor load and dries the cabin air.

Bob Wilson

10. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for all the information. I have a Scan Gauge but hadn't noticed those measurements are available. Does the AC compressor just run slower when more cooling isn't needed or does it run intermittently as in conventional air conditioners?

11. macman408

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A/C Wattage an Xgauge, Adrian Black's Google Docs spreadsheet has the codes you need to program it. The blower power I'm just getting by looking at the total battery amps while adjusting the blower speed (with A/C off, obviously).

The compressor is a variable-speed compressor, yes. Since I was in the garage in EV mode last night while getting the data for my post above, I could actually hear the compressor's tone change at each different speed step shown on the Scangauge as it was ramping the power up and down.

12. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The spreadsheet says the total battery amps won't work in the PiP :(:(

I find the A/C power goes up and down in significant steps with the blower setting.