1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Climb every mountain.....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by HaroldMelamed, Mar 5, 2007.

1. HaroldMelamed

HaroldMelamed New Member

I just got back from a road trip up to the White Mountains of Arizona for a ski trip.

The altitude rises from about 1800ft up to 9500ft during the trip. At times my gas mileage dropped as low as 35/Mpg. I was so sad...... Until I realized what goes up must come down, when my MPG jumped up to over 60 on the way back down, with peaks of over 80 on the long downhills. :)

My little Prius with it's hatchback and fold down seats held all of my stuff, which was a lot considering I took my daugther, who brought enough clothes for a month as well as the ski equipment, her wheel chair, etc all fit nicely in the car.

The car huffed and puffed on the way up and at times, I was worried that we wuold make it. The car did great and we had a great time too.

Here is a link to the photos I took during the trip.

Click here for pictures

My daughter has been physically disabled since birth and because of organizations like Breckenridge Outdoor Experience Center BOEC and the Mesa Association for Sports for Disabilites MASD, my daughter has been able to become a great skier and find some real freedom and enjoyment in life.

If you are looking for a great organization to make a donation, I would highly recommend a donation to either BOEC or MASD.

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HarryDriver @ Mar 5 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]400532[/snapback]</div>
    I can't believe it didn't get lower than 35 on the way up, nor above 80 on the way down. So I'm guessing you're talking about the trip average rather than instantaneous reading.

What was your overall average for the round trip? 60 mpg?

If so, that's incredible.

Dave M.