1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clinton and Obama adopt Bush Doctrine

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amped, Nov 20, 2007.

1. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Clinton-Obama-Bush Doctrine

New York Sun Staff Editorial
    November 19, 2007
    URL: http://www.nysun.com/article/66665

The big news out of the most recent Democratic presidential debate was that two of the leading Democratic candidates, Senator Clinton and Senator Obama, endorsed the Bush Doctrine that is at the core of our current president's foreign policy. We haven't seen it reported anywhere else, but it's a big story. Here's what Mrs. Clinton said: "There's absolutely a connection between a democratic regime and heightened security for the United States." Here's what Mr. Obama said: "The more we see repression, the more there are no outlets for how people can express themselves and their aspirations, the worse off we're going to be, and the more anti-American sentiment there's going to be in the Middle East."

Or, as President Bush has put it in enunciating what has come to be known as the Bush Doctrine: "For decades, free nations tolerated oppression in the Middle East for the sake of stability. In practice, this approach brought little stability and much oppression, so I have changed this policy." Or, as he put it again, "Some who call themselves realists question whether the spread of democracy in the Middle East should be any concern of ours. But the realists in this case have lost contact with a fundamental reality: America has always been less secure when freedom is in retreat; America is always more secure when freedom is on the march."

Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama spoke their share of silliness during the debate, and they lost no opportunity to criticize the president. But the comments they made about the connection between freedom, democracy, and American national security are a reminder though it may be fashionable to talk about how divided America is, there is a broad consensus on certain key principles, a consensus that extends from Mr. Bush on the right to Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton on the left.

It's fashionable, too, these days, to disparage Mr. Bush. But when historians assess the successes of his presidency, the far-sighted among them will surely count as one of his signal accomplishments that he shifted the debate on freedom and democracy and security in the Middle East so decisively that even his political opponents were conducting their debate on his terms. It is one of the president's great contributions, not only to American security but to human liberty.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Neither of those quotes says then lets go make war on all tyrants; lets go attack a nation that has made no aggressive attack on us. Neither of those quotes endorses the mess Bush started in Iraq.

We are not the world's mother or the world's policeman. It is not our job to go fix every government in the world. And certainly not through force.

If you want to take this as some sort of carte blanche, there were plenty of other oppressive and tyrannical govenments that deserved a slap upside the head before Hussein and Iraq.

Nice try, though.

3. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    when Ms Clinton become president and the Dems have the both houses, the sun will shine and clouds will part and rainbows will be seen from shore to shining shore. :D

But nothing will change!!!!!!! mark my words..... :lol:

You dems though the same thing just a few months back with the dems won the both houses and NOTHING CHANGED!!!!!! :blink:

suckers..... :(

4. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 20 2007, 04:47 PM) [snapback]542207[/snapback]</div>
    I guess you forgot...try again:

From Snopes, all quotes are true:

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
    President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998.

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
    President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998.

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
    Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998.

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
    Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
    Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998.

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
    Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998.

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
    Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999.

"There is no doubt that . Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
    Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL,) and others, Dec, 5, 2001.

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them."
    Sen. Carl Levin (d, MI), Sept. 19, 2002.

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
    Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002.

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
    Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002.

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seing and developing weapons of mass destruction."
    Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002.

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
    Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002.

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force — if necessary — to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
    Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002.

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years . We also should remember we have alway s underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
    Sen. Jay Rockerfeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002,

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do."
    Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002.

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
    Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction. "[W]ithout question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. And now he has continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real ...
    Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003.

www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp

5. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 20 2007, 08:01 PM) [snapback]542215[/snapback]</div>
    You go boy..
    I want to know what will happen after the next election.. see my above :p

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fairclge @ Nov 20 2007, 05:01 PM) [snapback]542214[/snapback]</div>
    That's basically what I've been saying. :(

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 20 2007, 05:01 PM) [snapback]542215[/snapback]</div>
    Why did you leave out the Snopes' commentary explaining that, while true, just about all these quotes are truncated and taken out of context?

You failed to provide information concerning where the speakers were and to whom they were speaking or told us what was the discussion of which the comments were a part of. In fact, many of these statements were proffered as arguments against the current military intervention in Iraq.

Here is a working link to the Snopes article on which you supposedly relied:

Snopes.com

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 20 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]542186[/snapback]</div>
    If it's such a big story, why haven't we seen it reported? Either it's not a big story (when taken in the context of the provided quotes) or the NeoCons are going to cry "Liberal Media" again, something that had been debunked over and over.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 20 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]542186[/snapback]</div>
    I have read both of these quotes and I still don't see how either of them is endorsing the military overthrow of a government that did not attack us first and was not threat to our security. An embarassment perhaps, but not a threat.

Why didn't we attack North Korea instead? (Oh, that's right...no oil.)

Why aren't we sticking our big, fat noses into Darfur?

Yeah, history is going to be all over Mr. Bush's reign. But I don't suspect it's going to be kind or forgiving.

9. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 20 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]542231[/snapback]</div>
    It seems to me an ethical politician would have a consistent, non-poll driven message regardless of venue, something any Clinton is incapable of.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 20 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]542235[/snapback]</div>
    I agree about Darfur and have posted about it here previously. I believe history will be kind to the Bush administration taking action against radical Islam while Clinton marinated cigars. BTW, in appears you haven't notice N. Korea's intent to suspend nuclear weapons activities, a unilateral agreement orchaestrated by Sec. of State Condoleeza Rice.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 20 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]542270[/snapback]</div>
    They haven't done it yet.

And I guess you acknowledge that should this happen, it was accomplished without the need to invade North Korea. Imagine that.

11. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 20 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]542274[/snapback]</div>
    Has anyone seen the Kool-Aid, seems like you need a refill.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Nov 21 2007, 01:47 AM) [snapback]542312[/snapback]</div>
    Now there is an excellent, well thought out rebuttal.

When you can't say anything else, deflect the topic with a personal attack.

13. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 21 2007, 12:06 AM) [snapback]542321[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, well, I decided when I joined the forum not to engage in political debate as doing so would just be a futile attempt at preaching to the liberal choir. This of course is due to the political mindset of the typical Prius owner (yeah, I'm stereotyping here). I decided if I'd join this world, I really couldn't spend countless hours (trolling) as a political minority arguing my position all night long while trying to remain gainfully employed on very little sleep. Instead I'll just remain one of the few Republicans (although in reality I can be somewhat liberal on social issues) that enjoy doing what I can for the environment while enjoying 50mpg at the gas pumps. :p ...forgive my bomb throwing.... it's a bit late. :blink:

14. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 20 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]542270[/snapback]</div>
    Any politician can appear inconsistent when quoted out of context. The quotes you provided are a perfect example.

The Snopes conclusion regarding the quotes you posted:
    http://snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp
    "However, some of the quotes are truncated, and context is provided for none of them -- several of these quotes were offered in the course of statements that clearly indicated the speaker was decidedly against unilateral military intervention in Iraq by the U.S. Moreover, several of the quotes offered antedate the four nights of airstrikes unleashed against Iraq by U.S. and British forces during Operation Desert Fox in December 1998, after which Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen and Gen. Henry H. Shelton (chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff) announced the action had been successful in "degrading Saddam Hussein's ability to deliver chemical, biological and nuclear weapons."

15. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i wouldnt be talking if i had leprosy

16. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Nov 21 2007, 06:02 AM) [snapback]542363[/snapback]</div>
    I'll take that to mean that the majority of the 18 quotes are accurate in any case, though I agree context is important, including Snopes editorial comments.

Also, "degrading" doesn't mean "eliminating". A quote from SS Albright after the attacks which you'll recall were a PR disaster for the US and Britain:

"I don't think we're pretending that we can get everything, so this is - I think - we are being very honest about what our ability is. We are lessening, degrading his ability to use this. The weapons of mass destruction are the threat of the future. I think the president explained very clearly to the American people that this is the threat of the 21st century. [. . .] [W]hat it means is that we know we can't get everything, but degrading is the right word."

17. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Nov 21 2007, 07:22 AM) [snapback]542369[/snapback]</div>
    I was hoping the antibiotics cleared that up.... but I'm still a Republican.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 21 2007, 07:39 AM) [snapback]542399[/snapback]</div>
    So you feel that as long as the quotes are true, it makes no difference that they are edited to give the appearance that the candidate actually said the opposite of what your doctored version makes it seem they said??? You feel it is honest debating to assert that a candidate holds a view opposite to his/her actual view, and then back it up by doctored quotes???

I don't.

19. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Nov 21 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]542402[/snapback]</div>
    must have been the cipro you repubs were handing out when trying to terrorize us over the anthrax scare :lol:

20. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 21 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]542434[/snapback]</div>
    In this thread I don't feel, I think.

The quotes weren't edited or doctored, unless you're alleging Snopes isn't a reliable source. Could be, I guess, look what happened to Wiki.

After re-reading the context, I stand by my opinion that the quotes are true in the context provided. If they weren't, why did virtually everyone quoted reverse their views after voting for war after their interest groups applied pressure?

C'mon, it's almost turkey day, save the red herring for another time.

OK, have to go get my bird for brining tonight, Happy Thanksgiving!