1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clinton or Bush

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Feb 20, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Under whose watch did more US Soldiers die in a four year period?

"The total military dead in the Iraq war between 2003 and this month stands at about 3,133. This is tragic, as are all deaths due to war, and we are facing a cowardly enemy unlike any other in our past that hides behind innocent citizens. Each death is blazoned in the headlines of newspapers and Internet sites. What is never compared is the number of military deaths during the Clinton administration: 1,245 in 1993; 1,109 in 1994; 1,055 in 1995; 1,008 in 1996. That's 4,417 deaths in peacetime but, of course, who's counting?" Alicia Colon, NY Sun

Funny how the Dems did nothing to support the troops then, even when more were dying under Clintons watch in peacetime. Ooops - they did defund the Pentagon and Intelligence agencies. Did they redeploy them to Okinawa too - I don't remember.

2. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 20 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]393415[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure you'll provide a link to your source...

3. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 20 2007, 02:28 PM) [snapback]393415[/snapback]</div>
    I think there are more that die than that. You've got military deaths from just Iraq. Throw in Afghanistan, and any other soldier deaths across the globe. You're going to find it much larger. Just an apparent statistical glitch in your argument.

Meanwhile, those numbers (if they're legit) were during the Bosnian War. While we weren't at war, we were involved. And in Somalia, too.

How 'bout civilian deaths? Just curious...

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 20 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]393418[/snapback]</div>
    Bosnian war - tell me how many boots did we have on the ground there :lol:

Somalia - was that the "was" that clinton ran from after 18 BRAVE US Soldiers were killed? They has more bravery and testosterone in their toes than clinton had in his entire body.

Could it be that more soldiers died under clintons watch while we were NOT in a shooting war than under Bush's watch in a HOT SHOOTING WAR?

And i thought clinton and the Dems cared about our military? How could they let so many soldiers die needlessly in peacetime??

5. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 20 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]393429[/snapback]</div>
    Gimme the numbers I asked for, and I'll give you answers to all of your questions. Let me put them out there in plain English so you'll understand:

1--How many soldiers have died each year over the past 7 years that haven't been in Iraq?
    2--How many civilian deaths related to an international terrorist action have occurred in the past 7 years? How 'bout from '92 to '00?

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 20 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]393432[/snapback]</div>
    You want the numbers - you find em.

And do not try to pin the 9/11 deaths on Bush - Clinton has some of this on his ledger too - how much will be tough to tell since sandy berger destroyed a bunch of top secret documents - i wonder why?

How about, how many US civilian and military deaths under clintons watch went unanswered for? Try the 18 dead in Somalia, try the US embassy bombings, and then add the dead on the USS Cole for starters.

But stick to the post - more soldiers died under clintons watch during PEACETIME over a four year period than died in a HOT SHOOTING war in Iraq under Bush. Is that not amazing!!!

7. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 20 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]393436[/snapback]</div>
    Let's see--all the soldiers in the world who die for whatever reason, including car accidents, illness, whatever...all of 'em--compared to a small percentage of those same soldiers in war. Hmmm...

A silly argument, even for you.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 20 2007, 02:05 PM) [snapback]393436[/snapback]</div>
    Errrr...thanks for playing...you're the one claiming you have the data so support your claims or withdrawl them. Your post clearly, to me at least, suggests total military deaths during Clinton's 8 years compared to only deaths in Iraq during Bush's 6.....

If you're unable to substantiate your claims then they are mute and must be assumed false and/or lies.

9. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since the good doctor is, as usual, too busy to provide backing data for his claims, I decided to help bail him out.

Let's check out the [​IMG] concerning military casualty information, courtesy of the Statistical Information Analysis Division of the DoD. Here is the link to the page I found.

I've attached a PDF file listing US Active Duty military deaths from 1980 through 2004. Unfortunately, that's the most current data the site had. It's makes more of an apples-to-apples comparison. Saying there were more overall deaths in one time period than in the first 4 years of war is disingenuous.

What I see is overall military casualties trending downward (1213, 1075, 1040, 974, 817, 827, 796, 758) through Clinton's entire administration and trending upward (891, 999, 1410, 1887) during Bush's first four years.

[attachmentid=6616]

*Edit*
    Check the column marked "Hostile Action".

Attached Files:

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 20 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]393443[/snapback]</div>
    not really a silly argument. i am sick and tired of hearing about each and every time the dems or the media harp on each and every casualty in this war. i never hear anything good about what our brave soldiers are doing - never a good story. i hear all the time about how concerned murtha and pelosi and reid are for our soldiers in harms way - but low and behold - MORE soldiers died under clintons watch during PEACETIME than died in the same four year period in a HOT SHOOTING WAR in iraq. and where the three stooges then? not a peep.

i am tired of the duplicity and the politics being played here. i am certain that if we retreat from iraq - the current dem plan - the bad guys follow us home - unlike what happened in vietnam when the dems cut and ran from there. in their vietnam plan the dems caused the deaths of millions of cambodians and no american civilians - fine.... this time the only difference will be the number of dead American citizens (millions of iraqi's/kurds/marshland arabs will die too)

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, since you can't/won't or are afraid to do it yourself I did a quick google.

If you just throw in Operation Enduring Freedom casualties you bring the total military deaths under Bush up to 3468. I'm still searching for deaths from other military actions as well as deaths in training and such...it's not that easy to find.

Ok, since you can't/won't or are afraid to do it yourself I did a quick google.

If you just throw in Operation Enduring Freedom casualties you bring the total military deaths under Bush up to 3468. I'm still searching for deaths from other military actions as well as deaths in training and such...it's not that easy to find.

http://siadapp.dior.whs.mil/personnel/CASU...ATE_OEF_OIF.pdf

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Feb 20 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]393450[/snapback]</div>
    how many thousand soldiers died under clinton in PEACETIME - JEEZ - what was he thinking? even if you choose the four years with the lowest figures - it still is equal to or greater than the current total during the four years of the Iraq war.

also, since you are so good at finding number (and you are) what was the size of the military during those 8 years? i am curious if there was a downward trend in the total number of us forces that would parallel the decrease in the death rate. thanks.

still - very shocking how many died during peacetime during clintons years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 20 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]393455[/snapback]</div>
    Tough number to swallow - almost as bad as clinton losing thousands of soldiers under his watch during PEACETIME! Where was he or murtha et al during this obvious DISASTER.

At least during Bush's time - people were shooting at them and trying to kill them - what was clintons excuse? How does he explain losing thousands of soldiers in PEACETIME?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 20 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]393443[/snapback]</div>
    I think these numbers are fairly accurate. They were published by the referenced author and publication that must have verified them as being accurate. As you can see this was not the NY Times :lol:

This is going to be a tough one for you guys.

13. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 20 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]393456[/snapback]</div>
    No, it's not. Let's take a median year...say '96. Total deaths were 974. 527 of those were accidental. 1 was due to hostile action. 52 lost due to homicide, 173 due to illness. 188 self-inflicted.

How in the world can you equate these deaths to the 344 and 737 lost due to hostile action in 2003 and 2004?

People die, doc. I would think you understand that. Your opinion of the media, while I don't share it, is not silly. I will state that this argument is; the numbers don't support your position. And yet you still deny. Typical doctor evil.

Next, you're going to say that Bush is bringing "one biiiiillliiiooon" jobs back to America
    [​IMG]

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 20 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]393456[/snapback]</div>
    Again, BS response...accidental military deaths have been fairly stable for many years...if we weren't at war during the Bush era he'd have just as many accidental deaths during his watch as Clinton did. Unless you're saying "since they're going to die anyway we might as well send them to war to die".

That said, the numbers for Bush hugely exceed the entire Clinton era. I still can't find numbers for 2004-present, but I did find a comparison of Bush through 2004 (5187) vs Clinton's entire presidency(4,417-I'll use your number there):
    http://www.murdoconline.net/archives/003564.html

There have been at least 1500 more deaths in Iraq alone since 2004 plus the accidental deaths and the deaths in Afganistan and elsewhere. So let's conservatively assume 2000 deaths more....that's nearly twice as many deaths during Bush's era than Clinton's and he's got another 2 years to continue the senseless slaughter of our brave young men.

Got any more stats you wanna throw out there?

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 20 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]393474[/snapback]</div>
    1500 more deaths during nearly 4 years of a hot shooting war -

And I will strongly disagree that these deaths were senseless - that is you opinion - the only senseless deaths were the 3,000 that were slaughtered on 9/11. They started this a long time ago - we just had 8 years of sticking our heads in the sand while getting hummers in the oval office. if we retreat from iraq any further deaths of innocent Americans on our home soil will be on your hands - not mine. Even so, I wish the Dems would get the testosterone together and act like men and push for a binding vote on funding the war - or just a binding vote on something. They are miserable, pathetic, spineless, blabber mouths - for Gods sake - I wish they would stand up - stand for something. The terrorists laugh at them / and probably wish them the best of luck since they want the same thing - an iraq free of American armed forces.

16. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Berman, stop twisting the facts. If you actually bothered to read the document (which you clearly didn't), here are some of the actual facts:

Cause Clinton (first 4 years) Bush (first 4 years)
    Accidental 2390 2109
    Hostile Action 0 1102
    Homicide 345 181
    Illness 853 859
    Pending 0 187
    Self inflicted 1001 623
    Terrorist 37 55
    Undetermined 40 71
    Total 4666 5187

So, in comparing apples to apples, you could make a case that the military didn't have sufficient safety measures in place to prevent accidents during Clinton and that it's improved. Or that Bush has brought down the homicide and suicide rate.

However, there are some more interesting arguments to be made. There were 0 troops killed due to hostile forces under Clinton's first 4 years. well over 1000 during Bush's. There were 0 pending deaths per year During Clinton. 187 during Bush. And finally, More troops have died under Bush than under Clinton.

So looking at this from an organizational perspective, a lot of those causes can be crossed out as unalterable by the President. Lets tackle accidental, Homicide, and self inflicted. As accidents happen, safety procedures increase to prevent them. it's only natural that this one would have a downward trend over time. homicide can't be controlled - ex-husbands and ex-wives, a significant other's ex-significant other, etc cannot be controlled and sometimes do kill people. Have you seen NCIS? Same thing with self inflicted - there are many contributing factors to suicide, and it's impossible to tell from these numbers why those individuals killed themselves.

That leaves us with what the president could potentially do something about:

Cause Clinton (first 4 years) Bush (first 4 years)
    Hostile Action 0 1102
    Illness 853 859
    Pending 0 187
    Terrorist 37 55
    Undetermined 40 71
    Total 930 2274

Hostile action is pretty obvious. Illness, as discussed in another thread, could be improved with better hospitals for our soldiers. Pending could also be improved with better hospitals, so soldiers don't lie there in agony for their last few days. Terrorist activities are definitely the presidents job to prevent, and undetermined are just undetermined... who knows about them.

Looking at it objectively, comparing apples to apples, Bush is doing a much worse job. in fact, take out the deaths due to hostile action, and they'd almost be even.

As a side note, during his 8 years, there was only 1 death due to hostile action under Clinton. Bush had him beat there in his first year.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 20 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]393479[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have to take a drink of the Kool-aid every day or is it just a once monthly dosing?

1)Dems have plenty of "testosterone"...you only want a binding agreement so when things go toe-up in Iraq you can blame the dems instead of accepting the responsibility for failure yourselves. The non-binding agreement is to make the point that there is general dissatisfaction and a double statement that all the "political capital" Bush thought he had has now been spent...and then some. No logical democrat wants the troops pulled immediately. That would be a disaster and you know it and I know it...a disaster of Bush's initiation, but a disaster none-the-less.

2)This didn't start b/c our president 8 years ago was getting a 'hummer'...it started well before that and we've covered the various mistakes made by both presidents and both of their intelligence agencies in the past that permitted the events of 9/11. The one thing that is absolutely agreed upon by both parties and the words spoken by "W" himself is that the terror acts of 9/11 had nothing, zilch, nada to do with Iraq. You have no stance there at all...not one leg to stand on...unless you wanna try to prop yourself up on that WMD crutch...good luck there.

3)Finally....the terrorist will get an Iraq free of US troops...be it in a year or in 10 years...they'll get it. And we won't leave a stable Iraqi gov't in place no matter how many times the President tries to suggest we will. I almost hope the republicans get control back just so the failure will be plain to see as their sole responsibility. If it happens under a democratic regime the repubs will say "see, you pulled out the troops and look what happened." You guys created this catastrophe and there's no way it will end well...it's just going to be a marketing campaign to see who's better at pointing fingers....the republicans usually win those.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 20 2007, 04:18 PM) [snapback]393490[/snapback]</div>
    How does it feel to be so self-assured?

And if the Dems pull the troops out - it is at that point their plan, their responsibility. Done

19. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    And yet, the history books will show that it was the republicans that got us into a war we couldn't win, and the democrats who finally took us out of it. It's be obvious that the waste of human life - both on our side and that of the Iraqi's - due to this war was huge, and without any gain.

Say what you will, Berman, but we shouldn't be in Iraq. We never should have gone there. Bush Sr. knew this, too bad Jr. didn't talk with daddy first.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 20 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]393494[/snapback]</div>
    As if you don't know! :lol:

And that is, ultimately, the best thing the repubs can hope for. The country goes into chaos, civilians die by the droves as factional fighting takes over, the entire middle east goes into an uproar and the republicans sit back and say "see, we had everything under control". The reality is that you've already pulled all but one control rod out of a nuclear reactor and you're desperately struggling to keep that one in place so the whole thing doesn't achieve critical mass. The democrats are aware of that and want to keep that control rod in place too while we struggle to find some way to correct the bungling that the Bush administration got us into in the first place. The problem is, I just don't think there is such a solution unless a truely charismatic and powerful leader within Iraq itself and chosen by the Iraqi people rises to the surface....we killed off the one that was there already so it's hard to know if someone with that kind of ability exists.

So, we can do a couple things:
    1)try to get rid of some of the nuclear material before losing the last control rod so that the ensuing 'explosion' is relatively minimal. That seems to be what's being attempted now, but we may be inadvertantly adding to the reactor rather than taking away.

2)Just say "she's gonna blow either way", pull the troops, cut our own losses and let what happens happen. It'll be a huge genocidal catastrophy, Iraq will plunge into severe chaos and probably come under complete control of a Taliban-like group who'll eventually foster and support terror groups out of Iraq where none existed before.

3)And probably the hardest of all....appeal desperately to the other members of the arabic nations to assist in resolving the situation. We need their support as untasteful as that will be to many Americans. With their help it's likely that the inter-sect fighting can be calmed. Pressure can be put on those nations providing weapons and support to the insurgents...in return, of course, we have to surrender power within Iraq to the middle east and to Iraq itself. Unfortunately we don't really have a diplomate on the Gov't payroll that can foster such a novel and complex agreement.