1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clips that hold long roof weather strips - glued on???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Beau08, May 14, 2014.

1. Beau08

Beau08 Only know enough about it to drive it...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife's 08 Prius is very likely a contender for the unluckiest, most heavily damaged Prius . . . that has never been totaled. It's been to the collision center 5 times for a grand total of just a hair shy of $25,000 in repairs.

Subsequently, all of the bits & pieces just don't line up or stay put like they did when we brought it home from the dealer. We recently lost the passenger-side long, black plastic 'trim' strip that is seated on both sides at the transition between the roof and the door tops. When I ordered the new one I also ordered the (2) new clips that hold the strip in place. As you can see in the photos, there is a slightly pliable plastic or dense foam pad on the bottom. Looking at them in the package I fully expected it to be a peel off adhesive strip. Not the case. I was getting ready to glue them in place using weatherstrip adhesive and figured beforehand I would check in with the experts.

Has anyone else replaced these, and is weatherstrip adhesive the way to go?

Thanks!

Clip_1.jpg Clip_2.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not positive, but i think i've read here that they are just press fit.

3. Beau08

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible something got screwed up along the way during all of the repairs, but these are definitely not press fit. The trim strip press fits into the clips, but the clips are somehow glued or adhered in place as best I can tell.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you could be right. hopefully, someone with first hand knowledge will chime in. i suppose there's no great harm in gluing them in, even if they weren't meant to. all the best!(y)

5. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are press and fit. There are not clips to hold them. At least OEM.

My passenger side came off once -- long story, won't bore you. I was tempted to use Silcone to fasten it, but in the end, just pressed it back. Has held for two years....

6. Beau08

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I was going to go ahead and glue them on last evening, but discovered that my weatherstrip adhesive had gone bad. Knowing I would have to stop & get some after work today I called the Toyota dealer this morning where I got the parts and inquired about the install. They told me what I had suspected; the two small red clips are adhered into place and the long black strip snapped into them. So, I picked up a new tube of weatherstrip adhesive and got the parts installed tonight. It went wall, not that it was a difficult job, but everything seems to be secure so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope it was a one-time $80 fix.

Thanks all.