1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(close)Death By Truck!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tbstout2, Oct 11, 2005.

1. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A few weeks ago I was driving up I95 towards D.C. when I noticed a tractor trailer coming up fast behind me. I was in the center lane (of three) and had nowhere to go to get out of the trucks way. He pulled up so close to me I had my friend take a photo of the truck using my cell phone.

The tailgating was bad enough, but when he eventually passed me in the left lane - and pulled along side of my five-month old Prius - he purposely moved in to the center lane and forced me in to the far right lane where a motorcycle and a trike were riding. I hit my horn and the bikes got out of the way so no one had any damage.

Right after he pulled that stunt he moved on to the shoulder and stopped. I parked my car about 100 yards in front of him to get his tag number. He jumped out of his truck and was running up to my car – and then I pulled away. I never even considered staying around and talking to the guy – or fighting, though I’d have loved to beat the snot out of the dude.

I called the dispatcher for Delgado Trucking to report the incident and the driver first denied that anything had happened until the dispatcher said I was on the phone listening to their conversation. He eventually said I was playing games with him by slamming on my brakes. I’d NEVER do that to a car – let alone a truck that close to me! The dispatcher told me that since it was my word against the driver he wouldn’t do anything.

I called him back once I got to work to get his email address so I could send the photo. During that call he told me that someone else had called him to report that incident and that the driver of the truck was in big trouble.

Lastly, two other people from my work saw the truck pull to the right from the far left lane and cut off a car – and they didn’t know it was me until they saw me pull off the road.

I don’t know what my point is to this post, just needed to vent! Thanks for lending your ears.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good stuff. One less bad driver on the road.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sounds like a remake of Duel. Glad nobody was hurt and that the driver will be punished.

4. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Should have flipped a penny at him! :p

5. Liam

Liam New Member

It's nice to know that reporting an incident to a trucking company might really do some good.

6. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Call the police and file a report. That guy needs to be taken off the road, and with your evidence and witnesses, it can happen. You'll be doing society a favor. Nobody in their right mind would do what he did, leading me to suspect that he might have been under the influence.

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If the police don't care (which is usual because no physical contact occurred and no police on hand witnessed it), make a complaint also to your local DMV Safety Office. Reference any witness and ancillary information you can add. That'll probably get more done.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I keep a camera in my dash in the event of an accident. I want to be able to hop out and snap some pictures before the scene is disturbed. More than that, I plan to run around and snap pictures of the people and plates of all witnesses. In the event of "my word against his," I can submit the pictures to the police and tell them to look up the plates and the witnesses.

Good job with the picture and for reporting him.

Several years ago, a semi changed lanes into me. His lug nuts dug into my driver door. Let me tell you that it's pretty darned scary when you see a 5-foot tire literally pushing your car into the other lane. At the scene, after we pulled over, he was extremely apologetic and said that he simply didn't see me and wanted to take care of everything. That all changed when he told his Manager and his insurer that we both merged into the center lane at the same time. By his story, it was a mutual-fault accident and my insurance paid for my car's damage.

When people drive like that, do whatever you have to in order to have them taken off the road. Of course it helps when multiple people call to confirm your story.

9. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

The picture says it all you can see how close the truck was to the rear of your Prius. Drivers like that are in danger of loosing their CDL and the liability they can represent to their company is not worth it to many trucking companies considering their insurance and rising fuel costs.

I have several friends and persons I know who are truck drivers (although you would never guess it when speaking or meeting with them) and they always talk about good drivers and bad on the road and often complain more about their fellow truckers than the average driver on the road... some of people are just plain nuts.

I think it was a very very good idea to simply drive away and hope his employeer does the right thing.

10. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That brings to mind something that happened a few months ago. Some moron was driving like crazy and he had a 4 sale sign in his car with a ph#. I got close enough to get the number. I then did a reverse search on the number and found out the address. I went to the house at night and saw the car there. I put a note on the window saying a few choice words. There...I vented too. I hate animalistic drivers!!!

11. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

Since I am still waiting for my Prius I have a forsale tag up on my car with my phone number I have been extra prudent in my driving sice I imagined someone might do something like that to me (unlikely based on my driving) but not to say if I was driving like a moron I wouldnt deserve a call telling me so or a note saying so... some drivers deserve a wake up call I think, common courtesy is often lost on drivers.

12. popoff

popoff New Member

Trivia for the day and OT.

Duel was Steven Spielberg's first film.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    in my state the police do care and very much. we have new laws concerning both cars and big rigs providing safe following distances and not cutting any vehicles off.

14. TidelandAZ

TidelandAZ New Member

I'm glad that both you and your Prius are safe. Along with everyone else here, I hope that the trucking firm takes action against the driver. One of my pet peeves is tailgaters, and it seems as though it gets worse each year.

Be safe, be sensible, be smart.

15. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't you just hate it when you're doing 65mph on the center lane and somebody decides to tailgate you JUST because you have a "Prius"? And worse of all, all other lanes are clear and they pull in front of you and tap on their brakes. What is going on morons? People have nothing to do but bother Prius'es.

I even had people pull in front of me, open their sunroofs, and try to dump coffee or water to me... but of course the wind blew those liquids onto their roofs or back windows (ha!).

I have definetely noticed a lot of "Prius harrassment" since day 1 or maybe day 2. Maybe it is time to buy a triple air horn system...hmmm...

16. Seaside Harry

Seaside Harry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For a second there, I thought this was going to turn into that "anger management" joke where the guy simultaneously gets revenge on the BMW-driving jerk who steals his parking space, as well as revenge on the guy who was rude to him when he accidentally dialed a wrong number.

17. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

More trivia... it was filmed in California along Sierra Highway between Newhall and Palmdale. The final scene is along Vasquez Canyon Road in Saugus. Last week a car went over the edge at that very point and was destroyed. Don't know if a truck was involved...

18. hilore

hilore New Member

Thanks for sharing with us. This sound like an attempt to assult with
    deadly weapon.

I have some of those close call moment too. I just pull over and exit
    to the nearest gas station and report to the highway petrol. If too
    many people report, the highway petrol will keep a close eye on the perp.

Hmm maybe somebody could come up with camcorder like device for
    the Prius and just mail the whole tape to the police department.

--Hilore

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess the story is, a camera is the driver's best defence.

20. AndyTiedye

AndyTiedye New Member

That could be a good enhancement to the backup camera option.
    Allow it to be turned on when you're not backing up, and to take pictures.
    Shouldn't be too hard to do.