1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Close encounters of the side mirror kind

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zoot, May 7, 2012.

1. Zoot

Zoot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So someone shaved off my 2008 driver-side mirror overnight, and it's dangling by the cable.

The panted cap was laying on the ground and one tab is broken but otherwise it seems fine so hopefully usable. The car side of things seems like it's fine. The base of the mirror broke and/or stripped out the screws holding it to the car.

I don't want the mirror dangling when I drive it to get it replaced, so does anyone have tips on getting the mirror off? I undid the few obvious screws without apparent effect. Can I get to one end or the other of the cable more easily than the other?

I take it cutting the cable would probably be a bad idea? Or is it a standard part of the assembly that will come with the replacement?

Thinking about just wrapping a towel around it for the moment to keep it from banging.

Anyone have other suggestions on dealing with this sort of problem?

Thanks much!

Z.

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tap to the side of the car until you can have it repaired.[ Duck Tape]. H

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You'll need to remove the interior door panel to reach the plug. These things usually run about $50 on car-part.com for the assembly, so just cut the wires.