1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Closing Back Hatch of Prius -- kinda of stupid??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberprius, May 10, 2008.

1. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :confused: So, for some six months have had this nagging feeling everytime I close the back hatch of my Prius. Like I am doing it wrong and gods will punish me eventually.

At first I used to hold on to the rear air deflector thing and slam the hatch closed. But it feels like the air deflector will pull off -- is this NORMAL>>>:mad:

So, there is also some strange "pictograph" icon on the rear hatch underside with a drawing of a hand, which I cannot make heads or tails of, although I guess it is supposed to be showing you how to close the hatch.????:confused:

So, being horribly creative. HAHAHAHA. I now just put my hand above the license plate well and shove down hard. It works....but I still have a nagging feeling about the the rear air deflector spoiler maybe being loose, as well as what that hand pictograph is all about.

Any gurus with answers?

Kristi (day seven with NO MICE caught near the Prius).

2. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The drawing is guiding you to a handle on the inside of the hatch... pull on that :director:

3. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    After lowering the hatch using the handle, the Toyota emblem above the license plate is a good place to push to close it.

4. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I hadn't found that inside grip for a while either. A swift pull and the hatch will close on its own without any more pushing from the outside. If you are concerned, feel free to add this to your owner's manual, "Remove hand from inside grip before point of closure."

PA P

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It appears that this is a common hatchback problem. My wife could not reach up inside and pull the hatch down to close it.

I found a handle that attaches to the two bottom license plate holes and makes it easy to close the hatch with one hand. I've had it on for over 4 years and it works great.

SAAB Trunk Handle for BMW - Ultimate Cupholders - Cup holders for 5 Series and 7 Series BMW, Z4, Porsche Boxster / Porsche 911 996, Mercedes, Audi, Acura NSX and other fine cars. The ultimate cup holder / cupholder!

6. cyberprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is a handle under the hatch???? Gosh, I've never seen it. Have to look again...and talk about a stupid idea. As some else mentioned, it'd be OK if I was ferrying around a bunch of "Mafia" passengers. :eek:

I do like the License Plate frame handle you mention, unobtrusive, but looks like it would work well. Problem here is that I am on some many dirt roads that the back hatch cover is caked in dust, so I leave a big "clean hand mark" on the red paint when I press above the plate, plus get my hand all dirty, which is not that big a deal, I guess.....:rolleyes:

7. Turbogizzmo

Turbogizzmo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Humm i feel short....i am not sure i can properly reach the "spoiler" when the hatch is open (will have to double check)......I just palm the hatch and bring it down, doesnt take much to close...

8. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Agreed.

9. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I gotta' go with this system, too. The spoiler feels like it would break off. After trying several things I found myself using the emblem without even realizing it. Just seemed natural, sans spoiler.

Bob

10. cyberprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Someone PM'ed me that there is an older post that answers this question, so what am I doing "re-inventing..."

I do apologize. I usually check pretty closely before I post and I usually find my questions answered in the past. So, I screwed up, but apparently this IS a concern and as mentioned here and in the previous thread, most go with the emblem closure idea.

http://priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/10291-closing-hatch-3.html

BAD, BAD KRISTI.....Just for that, I'll have to watch the "ZOOT and her nurses" part of Monty Python and the Holy Grail three times.....

So, off to the Holy Grail....

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Kristi,

The rear spoiler is mounted with four bolts and three clips, so it should be attached quite securely. Hopefully by now you've found the inside grip for your right hand to pull the hatch downwards. Then you can smoothly shift your hand to either the Toyota emblem or the license plate (the latter is what I prefer) to complete closing the hatch.

If you have the hatch light switch turned on, so that the light will come on when the hatch is open, then you can look at the light to verify that it is off, hence the hatch is correctly closed. Also, the door ajar light will be on if the hatch is not correctly closed.

Glad to hear that your mice problem is under control, or at least the surviving mice are smart enough to not allow themselves to get caught.

12. canesfan

canesfan Culture shocked...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't feel bad for not knowing! I had my Chrysler 300C for almost TWO YEARS before someone showed me the little hand grip inside the trunk lid! I had been thinking all along that Chrysler was so stupid for making such a nice car with all the luxuries, but you had to put your hand on the dirty trunk to shut it! When I got my Prius this week that was one of the first things I looked for, lol! :humble:

13. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There is a hatch light? :confused:

Guess I better go out after dark and check this out.

Bob

14. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Sounds perilous.

15. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I can't reach that high either. You know the little round thing the latch goes through? That's what I have always grabbed to pull it down. Took me a while to find the inside handle too cyberprius, so don't beat yourself up.

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The rear spoiler is a bad place to push on when closing the hatch. I did it a few times when I first bought the car and one day I heard a sickening cracking sound. I have not touched it again except to wash the thing. lol

I close the hatch by pulling on the inside handle and then pushing down on the license plate. :)

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do we have to spank you now?

18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well another Prius puzzle solved ... again.

Kristi the punishment you have set yourself is too soft.
    I think you should seek out and watch the entire series of ...
    Monty Python's Flying Circus.:couch2::der:
    And now for something completely different.

I use inner handle and emblem.
    I really don't like the pull hard on the inner handle and hope it's hard enough to slam shut. Often it isn't and when it is it seems to slam hard putting unnecessary stress on the aluminium hatch.

19. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Killer Rabbits! Killer Rabbits!

Use the grip on the inside of the hatch to close it! A frim tug does the trick, no pushing on the out side anywhere.

20. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    BAD Kristi, shame.....

Not so much worried out where you put your hand to close the hatch but HOW you're closing the hatch. There should be no reason to SLAM it.

I usually pull it half way down, middle of my chest, and then put a finger or 2 on the back below the license plate or on top under the spoiler and almost let it fall, pushing gently. NEVER SLAM THE DOORS OR THE HATCH. If I didn't push enough and it didn't close all the way I'll open it a couple inches and give it a firm push to close.

The feeling you're getting of impending doom is correct, but not because of where you put your hands, but because you're SLAMMING THE HATCH. Now stop it or the Prii Gods, and dealership, will tell you a couple things you don't want to hear, followed by $$$$

The doors get the thumb close technique, hatch gets the one or two finger push, and the hood gets the 3 to 4 inch drop and little push if needed deal.