1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clunker confusion: MPG figures changed

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    (hope this isn't a repost)
    EPA changes fuel economy numbers ahead 'Cash for Clunkers' - Jul. 28, 2009 - Some car shoppers find that the fuel economy for their old cars has suddenly improved - making them ineligible for Cash for Clunkers.

I witnessed this problem myself. Long ago, I saw Edmunds put the 91 Camry V6 automatic (I used to drive one) on the clunker list at Cash for Clunkers Eligible Trade-In Vehicle List - Edmunds.com. I checked on fueleconomy.gov a few times and confirmed it was 18 mpg combined (via conversion to new method via formula). I was going to respond to another thread the other day saying how I didn't feel it was a "clunker" at the time my parents bought it in 90 or 91 (it had 18/24 on the window sticker/old EPA method). Then yesterday, I noticed it it went to 19 mpg combined.

2. acdii

acdii Active Member

There really aren't a lot of cars that qualify for this. Even a 1992 Crown Vic, or better yet a 1985 Grand Marquis are not included, they get better than 18 MPG city.

One car that made me do a double take as a clunker was a 2004 Mazda RX-8. Um, last I checked they are worth a whole lot more than $4500.