1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clunking noise when starting and stopping motor.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius92, Oct 7, 2024 at 2:07 PM.

1. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All new motor mounts. Nothing visibly moving.
    PXL_20241007_175756668.mp4
    It almost sounds like axle shafts, but those shouldn't move at all in park, right?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No they should not but if you're parked on an extreme angle like a hill then when you have your foot on the brake and you put it in park and then remove your foot from the brake the backlash will be taken out the system and may be accompanied by a clunk on flat land not so much but some people have extreme angles in their driveway if it were drive axles on flat land you'd be able to just have the car sitting there in park and have two people rock the car back and forth forward to it hits it stops and backwards till it hits it stops or it's parking Paul or whatever isn't going on in the system so you should be able to duplicate the clunk more or less but if it's only when the engine shuts down then I would think maybe there's an issue between the damper plate on the back of the engine and where the spline shaft mates up to the damper plate that could be getting a little old and weak or something and maybe on the engine shut down the springs slam just a possibility maybe nothing concrete sounds pretty interesting I don't have any twos that do this I have a generation 3 that does this very noticeably but not on any of the generation twos.

3. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also noticed the engine is MUCH louder in drive than it is in park, and that is with my foot on the brake.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And if you get your mechanic stethoscope or your long pry bar out of the toolbox and start putting your metal end of that onto the transmission and to the engine and spaces in between you should be able to narrow down where you hear this noise coming from I'm guessing the transmission area