1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clunking/ticking sound when breaking

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ppongi, May 25, 2023.

1. ppongi

ppongi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have a 2017 PP with 81xxx miles and I bought it new. I know this car makes weird noises, some electrical and some mechanical. Nowadays I hear this clunking or ticking sound only when I break and slow down and it drives me nuts! I took it to a local Totota dealer and of course they say it’s fine. Not sure what to do as it bothers me so much.

2. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, I've found hybrids are pretty good at making strange noises...even when they are parked you can, sometimes, hear little motors running.
    Do you know if the noises are from the front or rear? To help determine noise locations, one trick is to find a large, brick building (like behind a department store) and go around to the back.....roll down all your windows and drive close to the brick wall and listen...the sounds will amplify off the wall better.
    Does it make the noise when braking or turning? What speed? It could be something simple like a tiny pebble stuck in a brake caliper or something bigger like a wheel bearing going bad.

3. ppongi

ppongi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yup, it looks like it’s coming from the front of the car. Sounds mechanical, repetitive, and it happens when it slows down before complete stop.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    While it probably is unlikely, does your car have actual hub caps snapped onto the wheels ?
    Sometimes a rock behind a hubcap can do that.
    And sometimes the "gripping mechanism" on the hubcap itself can pop like that.

5. Tague Zachary

Tague Zachary New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have the same car with the same issue. Did you find any solution? I may take it in to get it checked out.

6. ppongi

ppongi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I did not find solutions. I even removed the wheel cap (someone said above) but nothing. I searched up posts in this forum with similar issues or sounds, I believe clunking/clicking is associated with bad front axle. I’m just so mad that I will probably have to replace the front axle for a car with 80xxx miles?!? Toyota quality has gone downhill so disappointing.