1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clunky Steering!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Crunch, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Crunch

Crunch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Prius v

Out of our street doing a proximate 140 degree right hand turn I get a 'clunk' every time as I bring steering wheel back to center and accelerate away.

Have not been able to reproduce at dealers.

Any one else notice this?

Left hand turn does not seem to be issue.

See also HERE. Not sure if related.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Could be the engine coming on. It will shut down at every stop unless it is trying to warm up.

3. Crunch

Crunch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Confirmed Issue on our Prius V 2012 !

Just got back from dealer. After many visits, 12,000 miles, and letting Toyota know I had had enough of this vehicle they have found an issue with steering column. Two parts are on National Order and could be days or weeks away. They say it is safe to drive, but I am sure wife is not going to be happy if she feels one more clunk through steering. I notice after visit today I can feel clunk if I rapidly turn steering wheel left and right. Not sure if they tried to fix it and made it worse or not. If it gets worse I will be going in for a loaner car.

On another note has anyone noticed that if you put a long straight edge across steering wheel it is not straight in alignment with drivers seat!!!

4. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have 12k miles on mine and have not noticed any clunk .. however my first thought would be a sway bar bushing...
    as the body rolls and the torsion load gets put on the front sway bar, it could bind a little in the bushing.... then "release" the tension as the wheels straighten back out ... usually only occurs on a car with some age as the rubber bushings wear... high performance ones are usually a neaprieme or polyester/nylon base.

I have noticed a small clunk if I crank the wheel hard - but I'm sure thats just hitting the steering stop - when backing into a tight parking spot - other than some wind noise, that I think could be damplened a little more - i'm pretty happy with mine so far ...

just wish they would come out with a suv hybrid that still had towing ability.

5. Crunch

Crunch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I recieved notice today that say these parts to be replaced...
    45221-12330, extension
    45260-47080. shaft assy.

6. PriusTom61

PriusTom61 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I noticed a simular clunking while taking a right turn into raised drive/entry ways with the brakes partially applied at about 5 MPH. Also, within a few days I noticed while parked a different interior clunk coming from the steering column while turning the wheel quickly right to left. I brought it to the dealer and they kept it for 3 days due to the New Year holiday (on day free rental car, and two days paid rental car). What they found was a loose steering column rear hanger bolt. The hanger bolt was re-torqued and the sound has not come back in either the front while turning right or while turning the wheel quickly at stop. I am bring it back today as since the repair, the mileage has dropped over 10 MPG. It almost feels like the brakes are applied. My thought is the parking brake when reinstalled was not adjusted properly.

7. Aaron007

Aaron007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Its appears to be like suspension problems wishbones or bushes loose strut anything on the front suspension could cause clunking.. You need to check the suspension by some expert or you can DIY if you have proper tools for it. I am sure the problem is that. Good Luck

8. Crunch

Crunch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I sold my V after the repair . I just have not been happy with its 'feel' and less happy with response from Toyota.

Edit - I found two recalls. Thought I was on my 'V' page in 'Toyota owners' site but was on wife's 2008 Prius page . Even so not happy about her Prius could just "stop" with no warning.
    Quote "If the fuse is open, the hybrid system will stop while the vehicle is being driven, which may increase the risk of an accident"

9. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just curious - what date did you purchase your v ... that you're having this problem ...
    I wonder if it were early production models ... (late 2011) ... maybe they made a running change during production.
    I have yet to experience this - and I have 13k miles -- and I got mine in july last year. 2012

10. Crunch

Crunch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It does seem to be a one off as no one else seeing it. Purchased around March 2012. Sold with 17k. Found a used 2012 Highlander Hybrid with a few thousand on clock. Loving HH. Did not want 2013 which I think has Entune, which had to have been designed by the craziest IT people Toyota could find even taking in limitations of Bluetooth.

11. dan w cawthon

dan w cawthon New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took my 2004 Prius in for a free recall to replace a lock nut on the steering assembly which was great. While there they found I needed to replace the water pump and V-ribbed belt in the engine. Plus they replaced an axle seal after draining the trunsmission fluid and such. Cost $794.16. My Prius has 113,000 miles on it. Question were this maintenance about normal. Has anyone else experienced this type op repair. The only other repair I've had to make to my Prius was the electric water pump that was covered by a recall, no cost to me.