1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clutching pearls ... Musk buys Twitter

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Apr 26, 2022.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There sure are a lot of panic articles about what Musk will do with Twitter ... a platform I seldom use. Twitter is oriented to following personalities, not following technical content. If you guess right on someone's technical focus ... good. If not and especially the ads, it becomes just so much noise ... not worth the time.

One Musk goal is to limit the bots which I throughly agree with. Bots substitute quantify with little or no content. Again, I don't use current Twitter as the only twits I infrequently follow are Elon Musk and Robert Llewellyn. Musk because of my TSLA stock and Robert Llewellyn because he bring credible content.

Bob Wilson

Merkey and Salamander_King like this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I disconnected from Twitter, FB, Instagram, and all other SNS platforms ~6 years ago when the plague of misinformation and disinformation became apparent to me. Before that realization, I thought any information is better than no information, but I now know there are times no information is far better than misinformation/disinformation. In my field of work, I always operate on the basis of the principle that states "Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."

I will never find wisdom on an internet platform.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting purchase. i will be watching to see what he does with it, to make it more valuable than the cost.
    i realize he is obsessed with it, but i have no idea how owning it helps him in any way.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Musk and Tesla have been the personal target of lying short sellers whom the SEC has failed to reign-in. Twitter may give an answer since Musk wants his enemies to post on Twitter.

Bob Wilson

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Even that greed infused Bill Gates shorts Tesla, the only all electric company. Then he calls himself an environmentalist & invites musk to be one of his board members?. That's how you spell hypocrisy.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if he'll ban the shorts, in the name of free speech...

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I suspect he'll make sure the 'shorts' are answered. See:
    Elon Musk tweets that he confronted Bill Gates about shorting Tesla

Elon Musk has accused Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates of shorting Tesla.

In a tweet on Friday, the Tesla CEO admitted that he asked Gates if he was short-selling shares of the electric carmaker. When investors short a stock, they are betting that the price of the asset will fall.
    “I heard from multiple people at TED that Gates still had half billion short against Tesla, which is why I asked him, so it’s not exactly top secret,” Musk said in the tweet.

He was responding to a Twitter user’s question on whether a screengrab of a supposed text conversation between the two billionaires was real. The Tesla chief’s response was: “Yeah, but I didn’t leak it to NYT. They must have got it through friends of friends.”

The account that inquired about the text messages, @wholemarsblog, heavily promotes Tesla and Elon Musk, and is among the few handles that Musk most interacts with on Twitter.
    . . .
    All he has to do is cite the facts and data about how poorly the short sellers have done. Then emphasize the lies and ask, 'Why does the SEC ignore these false attempts to move the price of TSLA?'

Bob Wilson

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he can do that without buying the company

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm patient to see how things change. Regardless, he'll be blamed whether right or wrong. Today, there is a lot 'what if' fear as if Twitter had been a paragon of facts and data. If Musk:
    • brings subject or topic following
    • stops the bots that flood everyone with crap
    Twitter might actually be something I might use. Today, following two individuals has worked for me. Otherwise, no interest.

Bob Wilson

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i read that the employees are concerned they might have to actually do some work :cool:

12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's hard to figure out... As much as I'd love only verified human beings using twitter, I also read an article yesterday trying to say Elon Musk used an army of Twitter bots to fend off attacks from all the fossil fools.

His ability to put engineering challenges ahead of billionaire power trips is well proven. But he also promises to deliver vehicles years before they actually show up.

For me his promise of releasing the source code is the most provocative, though unlikely... But if he did, it may well be he converts Twitter to a Unix command line prompt that all your devices are pushing code to thousands of times a day and social media part of it becomes secondary. And then you integrate that with Starlink and the Tesla robots he's building that has all his advancements of self driving cars into it and it could get interesting, especially if his robots can't have their own twitter accounts.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: US and over 55 other countries commit to democratic internet governance - CNN

Washington (CNN Business)More than 55 countries and the United States announced their commitment Thursday to defending a free and open internet, agreeing to uphold digital human rights in response to rising authoritarianism in cyberspace.

The agreement, known as the Declaration for the Future of the Internet, aims to forestall an emerging "splinternet" characterized by the growing repression of internet users in closed regimes such as Russia and China — and the divergence of those countries from the internet's founding principles of universal access and unfettered information flow.
    . . .
    Russia's information war, including its campaigns of online disinformation and propaganda, is just one of many examples of illiberal behavior the declaration is designed to counter, the US officials said.
    . . .

Somewhat expected given how much time they spent fixing old Twitter and old Facebook. Then there is the festering sore called Murdoch.

Perhaps it is time to bring back the 'Fairness' policy that requires media to give time to critics on the same platform?

Bob Wilson

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And a neutral net policy.

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur!
    I think that this is what motivates Musk as well.....
    [​IMG]
    As long as Section 230 exists...."Net Neutrality" is 2 lies for the price of one.....

-------
    Not everyone thinks Musk is a nice guy....but even fewer people think that he's stupid:

[​IMG]

LOVE his sense of humor!!

#15 ETC(SS), Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  16. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Biden Establishes a Ministry of Truth - WSJ

I think the current administration just said.... "Not good 'nuff! Here. Hold my beer!"

Best.
    Plan.
    Ever!!! :):LOL::ROFLMAO:

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did musk say the future of humanity hinges on his buying twitter?

18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s an exact quote, according to some of the ‘usual suspects.’

Imagine…..one of the richest billionaires on the planet having the power to just go out and buy a major media company and launch private rockets into space.

Somebody ought to DO something…..:ROFLMAO:

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    are we talking musk - or Bezos ....

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gates. he has a new book out on how to prevent the next pandemic, but no one will listen to him...